Build a Crowbox kit and become friends with your neighborhood crows

You know something, Jon Crow.

2 Likes

I was curious how so many people were apparently failing to build this device so I followed the link to get an idea of the level of complexity. Turns out the instructions are in video format and the written instructions are a partial transcription from the video (which I couldn’t read because the link wasn’t working). This is perhaps the worst way to provide construction instructions ever devised. The site is also very insistent that you’ll need a laser cutter if you want to make it yourself. A box being one of those shapes that is too difficult for conventional tools.

I was mildly interested in trying this myself until I visited that build page.

3 Likes

Hawaiian crows are endangered, but mynahs are pretty smart anyhow. They stop by to clean up the leftover kibble from the outside cats, and leave a couple on watch in case the cats come back. Their alarm call even sounds like they are yelling “CAAAAT! CAAAAAT!!”

1 Like

To get better instructions, you have to insert coins, one sentence at a time. :grin:

It used to drive me nuts when my neighbour fed my cat, because we had coyotes in the neighbourhood. If he had to be home for his dinner then he’d be inside before the coyotes and raccoons came out. But since my neighbour was feeding him, he had no reason to come home and I’d wonder where he was for days at a time.

FWIW he was wily and died of old age at 18.

1 Like

ygrittelaughs

2 Likes

People spouting off about “hasn’t been replicated!” seem to be willfully missing the point. It’s right there in the text from the website cited in the BB article:

“Nobody’s likely to get rich off this and there are no guarantees of success, but with a little luck we’ll be able to move the needle on how people think about their relationships with animals and learn a ton in the process.”

Basically this wonderful gadget is a cultural intervention – a cross between a citizen science experiment, site-specific art piece, and self-fulfilling science fictional prophecy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.