Build your own bagpipes out of a trash bag and record and learn to play in quarantine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/27/build-your-own-bagpipes-out-of.html

3 Likes

Some information really is too dangerous to disseminate, you know.

14 Likes

Believe it or not this is a bit of a classic junk instrument thing. Used to know a banjo player that used to do junk instrument demos and classes at the local library and schools. Washing machine tubas and that sort of thing.

Believe he used a hot water bottle for the bag, and tin whistles or slide whistles for drones. Sounded fucking awful.

5 Likes

I think the $10 dollar banjo I have is doing fine at driving my Dear Wife crazy, no need to double down with the bag pipes.

6 Likes

I dunno… I need to use BOTH of my recorders for this project? I knew I should have bought at least three.

6 Likes

I’d say quarantine is the ideal place to practice bagpipes.

(For the record, hearing a pipe and drum corps playing can be a thrilling event, hearing someone learn the pipes, not so much. Of course hearing someone learn violin can be tortuous as well.)

6 Likes

Well a proper set of pipes has 3 drones. Playing varied notes. So if really wanna do it up you’d need a whole variety of recorders.

1 Like

trash bag bag pipes the new official instrument of the apocalypse.
bag pipes were were used in battle to frighten the enemy plus its really awkward for your adversaries to shoot back while trying to keep fingers in both ears.

3 Likes

It is quite fitting that the next entry in the blog is about 20 headphone offers that should help bring peace and quiet to the home office

3 Likes

I’m working on a bagpipes-accordian hybrid. If combined with Morris dancing it will be the worlds most annoying artform.

7 Likes

bag pipe accordion hybrid … i think it needs another layer of sound , like a fork scratching a plate or fingernails on a chalkboard to accompany it .

2 Likes

Like bells, and clacking sticks?

3 Likes

Ummmm. . . you’re a little late on that one.

5 Likes

Y’all ever heard The Most Unwanted Song? It’s very annoying. And too long! Lots of bagpipes, accordions, tubas, the works.

Jeeze! Am I the only one around here who likes bagpipes? And as to banjo, may I refer you to Flatt and Scruggs or Steve Martin. For the accordion I give you the incomparable Weird Al doing Classical Gas.

If you’re still here there’s this TED talk with the Sleepy Man Banjo Boys. They are impossibly young.

Nah man. Bagpipes are rad. Well played bagpipe music is a great thing. And my uncle was the chief instructor for one of the best pipe bands in the US so I’ve heard a lot of good bag pipe music.

Most people trashing on bagpipes have only heard them recorded. Frankly they don’t record well.

That said poorly played bag pipes, out of tune bag pipes, and bag pipes played indoors are just god awful.

3 Likes

Same experience with ukulele.

3 Likes

Uilleann pipes sound fairly pleasant. In the movie Braveheart they are used throughout instead of the dreadful bagpipes when they want a decent sound.

1 Like

It’s one way to ensure social distancing!

1 Like

I’ve imagined that it’s possible to construct bagpipes from the carcass of an adversary. For example, large bones could be used for the chanter and drones; the stomach and/or skin could be used for the bag.