Build your own private gyrocopter

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/23/build-your-own-private-gyrocop.html

2 Likes

OK, so it’s “easy to build” and “easy to fly.” I am still a bit concerned that they make no promises about it being easy to LAND.

16 Likes

Pfft. It lands EVERY TIME! A child could land it.

Didn’t they used to call them Autogyros? Or is that technically 2 different things?

4 Likes

Landing is easy. It’s the walking away that’s the hard part.

No. An autogyro is a Greek sandwich that eats itself.

25 Likes

Gravity will take care of that for you. Once, anyway.

4 Likes

I’ve already built mine. The rest of you haven’t?

3 Likes

You couldn’t get a trained monkey to put me in one of those things…

(source)

8 Likes

Why a private gyrocopter?

When I was 16 years old, my parents and I discussed me perhaps buying a car. But I changed my mind and decided upon buying a cheap gyrocopter from some local classifieds. My parents freaked and erected a string of obstacles to sabotage my efforts of acquiring it. To this day I have never had a car.

12 Likes

I’ve always preferred Paraplanes for homebuilts. Worst case you’ve already got your parachute deployed.

1 Like

I built one with a friend. We couldn’t agree on a name for it. Ruined a beautiful friendship.

6 Likes

Well, do you yet have access to a gyrocopter, at least?

I have no idea! It’s been yonks since I’ve even seen one. Probably not, I guess.

2 Likes

You should definitely build one from these plans and then lend it to anyone who asks, then. Shit, if I didn’t live on the other side of the Atlantic, I’d help just for the lulz.

1 Like

It is definitively an autogyro.
An airplane with an unpowered rotating wing.

1 Like

Psshhhhtt.
Wake me up when there’s a home-built dirigible kit.

[edit] Oh.

5 Likes

This will come in handy for the upcoming apocalypse.

16 Likes

If it doesn’t have precisely the number of rockets, flamethrowers, aerial mines and heat-seeking missiles required to take out Blofeld’s helicopters, I’m not interested. You can leave out the machine guns, though, they’re useless.

7 Likes

They go together really fast if you get a kit!

2 Likes

6 Likes

Until the reboot, anyway.

12 Likes