Burger King shows sandwich decaying to moldy slab of meat and bread in new ad

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/19/burger-king-shows-whopper-deca.html

4 Likes

In before the “You won’t believe a fry that’s been dehydrated, fried, frozen, fried again, and covered in salt doesn’t go moldy OMGWTFBBQ!!” video posts.

6 Likes

Considering a lot of people, like me, couldn’t even eat fries there before, this is probably the best ad they could have made for me.

3 Likes

itsABoldMoveCotton.gif

Also bold to show the time lapse of a burger being constructed for photography, with the air-brush-like mayonnaise applier. Some simalacrum of radical honesty. It might just work.

11 Likes

I’m a little confused by this - I recall reading an article about this re: McDonald’s that was saying that the main reason McDonald’s burgers don’t rot is simply that they dry out first. Thin meat + airy bun means that the thing just fossilizes rather than moulders. So if that’s the case, wouldn’t BK have had to have kept this thing in a humidifier or something to get it to get moldy like this?

Link: https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/heres-why-mcdonalds-burgers-don-t-rot/

5 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text

11 Likes

Hamberders…

13 Likes

Note that the burger in the video is loaded with toppings, and the mold starts growing thickest at the bottom of the pile of vegetables.

4 Likes

Wow. An admission by a mega-corp that shit actually rots and fades away. That’s super progressive. (not totally sure, but I might be using /s)

4 Likes

“Welcome to Burger King, home of the Whopper™, which shall go the way of all flesh. May I take your order?”

“Yeah, I’ll have the Cheddar Bacon King sandwich.”

“Would you like fries or onion rings with that? We come from dust and will eventually return to dust.”

“Yeah, large fries, and a Diet Coke.”

“That will be $7.59. Please pull around. Memento mori.”

23 Likes

Several years ago Dominoes ran a poster campaign that included a line that went something like “Now with restaurant-quality ingredients!!!one!”

Now’? Um, ok …

6 Likes

One of Michael Pollan’s food rules is “Don’t eat anything that won’t eventually rot.” If bacteria won’t eat something, neither should you.

2 Likes

No honey, then?

4 Likes

Sic transit gloria mundi; and also the drive-through lane…

4 Likes

No water, either?

1 Like
3 Likes

And if you make homemade burgers without veg and leave them, they won’t go mouldy any faster than a McDonalds burger:

It’s not conclusive, but the main factor in burger decomposition seems to be the size of the patty allowing it to dry out, not any preservatives etc.

1 Like

So … you’re saying that there is something fundamentally wrong about burgers in general, rather than there being something wrong with McDs burgers in particular?

I’m saying if you want to store food for weeks without it going mouldy, make it a shape that dries out quickly.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.