How long you have to eat freshly-made McDonalds fries before they become inedible

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/05/how-long-you-have-to-eat-fresh.html

2 Likes

Naaa they’re fine up to a week. The secret is lots of ketchup.

4 Likes

18 minutes seems way too short. They’re basically only inedible if they are stale (not much you can do) or refrigerated (you might be able to bring them back in the oven.)

Haven’t we seen other experiments that suggest McDonalds food is essentially unchanged months later?

This is why people don’t believe in climate change! (I’m exaggerating, but it’s a tiny bit true)

6 Likes

Technically they’re always inedible.

17 Likes

… the minute they add the natural beef flavoring.

3 Likes

I think in those cases, it was more that low moisture foods were just drying out rather than rotting. I’m sure dehydrated burgers and fries aren’t very good to eat even if they do look uncannily normal for way too long.

3 Likes

Exactly. Low moisture and high salt meant that they didn’t LOOK unchanged.

5 Likes

Actually it is the only fast food french fry that is edible.

Don’t get me wrong…fast food fries are garbage compared to real properly done double fry Fries. But of all the fast food ones…they are still the best of the bunch. at least IMHO.

4 Likes

Yes - let’s go back to the good old days when they used pure, unadulturated beef tallow!

" In the good old days, McDonald’s fries were cooked in beef tallow. But customer demand for less saturated fat prompted a switch to vegetable oil in the early '90s. Here, that means oils of varying saturations combined into something reminiscent of beef tallow."

Today:
"Vegetable oil for frying, which is a blend of 7 ingredients, including: canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with tert-butylhydroquinone (TBHQ), citric acid, and dimethylpolysiloxane.

Or they could use Olive Oil :grin:

5 Likes

If you knew what they were made from, you’d never eat’m, ever.

6 Likes

You’re not the boss of me!

12 Likes

Born That Way

4 Likes

Well, their salt and grease do have an authentic flavor.

1 Like

Uhhhh. . . define “inedible.”

I saw a bag of kaiser rolls in the street this morning, someone must have just dropped them. I briefly considered grabbing them. Hey, they were in a bag, unopened, maybe they’d been there since last night but it’s cold out so they’re good, right?

2 Likes

i know you’re joking, but olive oil has a low burn point and is pretty bad for frying. ha.

3 Likes

I like McD’s fries, but a truly good fry should be good/decent even when cold

1 Like

hey, it works for mummies, after all…

1 Like

Soo, if we suppose these came from a McD in downtown Washington, it’s a 10 minute walk, and add at least 10 more minutes for table dressing and a photo op …

8 Likes

I’d still take a bag of Five Guys fries over Mickey D’s.

5 Likes