Burning Man rained out; entrance and exit gates remain closed

Originally published at: Burning Man rained out; entrance and exit gates remain closed | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Ugh. If you’re at Burning Man you are privileged. Get some perspective.

That being said, please send thoughts and prayers to Cory Doctorow. Like, real ones.

37 Likes

Waist deep in the big muddy.
You start out standing, but end up crawlin’.

9 Likes

Right? Not everyone has the money to take a week off work, fly out or drive out to some luxury mad max week long party bender with custom built living accomodations and play RPGs with famous people.

If you’re at Burning Man, well, best of luck, but welcome to the Global Warming is Real Reality show.

27 Likes

Honestly, I find it kind of impressive that Rock walked out. 5 miles in mud sucks.

14 Likes

I mean, maybe he did, maybe he took an unathorized vehicle out and can’t really discuss it without getting in trouble with the whole “no trace remains except if you’re super rich” police at BRC

5 Likes

Do they have enough mud to start qualifying for pustules, fever, and more?

13 Likes

That’s ironic, usually they have to deal with dry, windy conditions.

I also heard rumor of a virus or something going around. Guess we will see if that is just internet/twitter nonsense or what.

ETA - Possibly Ebola? Which - if true - yikes! eta2 didn’t happen.

2 Likes

It’s not, that’s just a chan created rumor.

4 Likes

According to Forbes, the lies started on Elon’s version of 4chan.

6 Likes

Well some of the symptoms of Ebola match the symptoms people had from that Tough Mudder event, so it is quite possible people are getting sick from something in the mud. Or something going around. Burning Man always looked absolutely filthy in the images I’ve seen.

1 Like

I thought part of the point was to be at one (with tens of thousands of others) with nature

8 Likes

In the unlikely event that you’re a bit of a weirdo (like moi) and appreciate getting a geographical lay of the land, here’s the google map site for Burning Man. from which one could zoom out from and add terrain and such

(add water and it does look like a bit of a bath-tub/arroyo -sigh-)

12 Likes

It could be an interesting puzzler for future archeologists.

9 Likes

IMG_1785

6 Likes
5 Likes

It is the remains of an ancient lake bed

15 Likes

Playa is the term used to describe sunken dry lake beds in deserts where water evaporates rather than running off, and even a small amount of rain can quickly soak a large area.

Authorities have not provided information on when roads could reopen, but the sunshine is expected to return Monday.

It could be a while before the playa is drivable.

12 Likes

And then I’m sure that mud will dry like concrete, entombing all the buried electrical cables, tent stakes, abandoned bicycles etc. Much of the camping gear will end up abandoned or tossed in landfill.

17 Likes

They should schedule some kind of detectorist event before next year, to find and dispose of all the moop.

12 Likes