Bus companies draw anger after installing Rosa Parks-themed commemorative seats

Time for some Drunk History again:

8 Likes

Equity Day

Elaine Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

An actual demonstration of equity would be to free up some buses and drivers to help balance the scales by giving free transport and better access to voter registration drives and polling stations during election season. If folks can’t mail in a ballot (mainly POC who have been redlined out of walking distance to the polls), they damn sure better be able to get a ride to go there.

If MTS were truly an ally, they would make sure that POC have a dog in this never-ending fight against fascism and racism.

ETA: Hell, why not give POC free rides everyday in the name of reparations?

6 Likes

I have to say this also feels a little bit like patting oneself on the back. “See? We don’t segregate bus seats anymore. Good job, us.”

4 Likes

That’s a whole lot of truth.

Exhibit A: Franklin Commissioner Compares Himself to Rosa Parks in Protesting State Mask Mandate | The Daily Chronicle

Exhibit B: California city councilmember compares fight against coronavirus mask rules to Rosa Parks’ struggle

Exhibit C: Trump Ally Stephen Moore Compares Coronavirus Protesters to Rosa Parks

Exhibit D: Extra Extra: Florida Man Compares Himself To Rosa Parks After Wearing Thong As Mask On Plane - Gothamist

I suspect I’d run out of alphabet before I’d run out of history appropriators.

6 Likes

It was a while into my adulthood before I discovered that it was indeed a myth. I was taught the myth version in school – many times.

3 Likes

Anyone who imagines themselves as a modern-day Rosa Parks also imagines that they are a serious activist, when in reality they are neither serious nor an activist.

1 Like

All these cheap sanctimony for a bus seat.
Meanwhile, they are terrified and indignant over a SCOTUS seat going to a black woman

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.