Buster Keaton narrowly avoids certain death

What, you want me to be more disagreeable? You’ve been around here long enough to know I can do that, if it’s what you’re asking for.

1 Like

“No, that is not Natalie Talmadge (who was pregnant at the time with the second Keaton boy, Robert) at the lip of the falls, but Buster’s flying-trapeze intervention is physical reality. It is said that he swallowed so much cascading water that he almost drowned. Medics were called.”

2 Likes

A six ton prop, it brushes his arm as it comes down, and he doesn’t even flinch.

He wasn’t known as The Great Stone Face for nothin’.

3 Likes

Jackie Chan probably deserves a third mention, given how inspired he was was by Buster Keaton, not to mention how much homage he paid.

Also, this: Six reasons why Buster Keaton was way ballsy

1 Like

How about styrofoam zithers?

Trepanning.

2 Likes

And a shout-out to The Goodies, who not only re-enacted this stunt but also had Keaton coming into the shot afterwards and taking notes.
They do anything, anywhere

5 Likes

Not actually Keaton, of course, since he died four years before The Goodies were a thing…

Nice catch; I’d forgotten it.

A threat? Really? Someone pokes fun at you so you want to try to intimidate them on the internet with your being disagreeable? Gee, and I thought your first post to me was disagreeable. Oh well. Feel fee, go ahead, bon voyage and all that. I’m really good at not reading things. I can do it without even trying.

I have read in a book on the great silent comedians that his shoes were literally nailed to the ground in the safe spot. “All” he had to do was stand upright and not flinch. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a skill I would love to have, right up there with not watching the tv when it is on in the background behind the person I’m supposed to be paying attention to and writing things in fewer words than I would normally choose because otherwise people might have a difficult time parsing my thoughts if they even bother to read or listen to the end.

6 Likes

Thanks! Although I was disappointed to that was a Keaton-manqué.

The clip in question dating to 1975, and Mr. Keaton unavoidably stonefaced off this mortal coil in 1966.

There are a number of films that have cameos by the real Mr. Keaton. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum is the first that springs to mind.

Brevity is a skill I would love to have.

“Love brevity.” Was that so hard?

2 Likes

“Wish I could shut up.”

Nah, it’s waaaaaayy too out of character for me.

I have a lot to say about this whole thread, but, really, who cares?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.