Buzzkill alert: The thousands of illegal fireworks over L.A. cause air pollution

And only in LA, too!

The rest of you can relax. Apparently your fireworks are made of non-toxic glitter and unicorn farts.

4 Likes
4 Likes

And now I find myself wanting to book a trip to one of the “street fireworks festivals” around the world where people don leather jackets and strap on motorcycle helmets and take to the streets to do battle with one another wielding roman candles, poppers, fizzgigs and assorted rocketry.

Someplace where people understand that explosions are both dangerous and fun, and they don’t indulge in anguished hand-wringing over one evening of elevated particulate pollution.

(Me, I love the smell of black powder.)

1 Like

Fireworks pollute? Wow, I had no idea.

He said with intense sarcasm

2 Likes

Note, though, that the LA Times story is from 1995. In the wake of the Crack Cocaine Wars, celebratory gunfire became extremely common - I recall one early-90s NYE when I could hear full-auto gunfire from at least six locations around my (relatively upscale suburban) apartment.

But it became a public outrage, and the LAPD and civic groups staged a large public-awareness campaign (wounded children on billboards and the like), which actually resulted in a very substantial reduction in celebratory gunfire.

The message that it’s a very stupid thing to do is fairly well implanted in the local public consciousness now.

Still, doesn’t stop some jackasses from being stupid.

1 Like

as they say, can’t fix stupid.

1 Like

Sure, of course. They made a short-sighted compromise that left enough room for uncontrollable abuse. Ban all fireworks and unnecessary (whatever the definition of ‘necessary may be’) use of firearms, blank or not. Put a 200$ fine on any infraction, plus confiscation in case of firearms. 100$ reward to anyone who catches infractions on camera.

Hahaha! Here’s me slowly turning into an grumpy old geezer :smiley:

Quick note: there are some municipalities in LA County that allow Safe and Sane fireworks and sell them. (Lakewood and Carson are just two cities that spring to mind, both of which are adjacent to my town.) Buy them in one city and set them off in another!

Buzzkill alert: The thousands of illegal fireworks over L.A. cause air pollution

Obligatory MAGA response: THANKS OBAMA

Hmm. You’re right.

Clarification: no fireworks of any kind in unincorporated areas of LA County.

Incorporated municipalities can make their own choices about permitting “safe and sane” fireworks.

City of LA doesn’t allow them, but yeah, some South Bay cities do.

Sorry for any confusion.

1 Like

“I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.”

you misspelled authoritarian

Oh, you know what? Just put them in cages overnight and have fierce dogs barking at them: That’ll teach 'em :slight_smile:

Like every other activity humans engage in, fireworks are known to the state of California to cause some problems.

Hell, humans exhale carbon dioxide all the time. How come California doesn’t put a damn warning label on them, too?

We sell a type of knife that has an epoxy powdercoat finish, and it comes with a California Prop whatever warning label because if you chew that powdercoat off the knife and swallow it, you’ve ingested some carcinogens.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.