Watch this timelapse of illegal 4th of July fireworks over L.A

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/06/watch-this-timelapse-of-illega.html

2 Likes

Kevin explains,“The foreground is Culver City. Culver City Police Department is super strict about fireworks. Those houses are relatively expensive and in Los Angeles the best street fireworks tend to be in the hood.”

Rich people are kill joys

9 Likes

Not enough hashtags.

2 Likes

Having your house burnt down or your dog terrified for days is a bit of a bummer, too.

Before 2009 we had an outbreak of people letting off large fireworks. They were completely ignoring safety legislation (e.g. letting off in small backyards things supposed to have a 25m safety zone around them.)

7 Likes

less likely to share any data too

My 2yo daughter had a rough night on the 4th, up all night, pretty scared. Big m80-sounding firecrackers were going off all around the outside of our building long into the wee hours of the morning. It was like a fucking warzone.

4 Likes

In my neighborhood i never heard a single pop, which was somewhat of a strange thing to experience on the 4th. At my parent’s neighborhood however there’s quite a few residents that will set off fireworks for most of the evening. My parents like it since they can stay home and still experience fireworks but the pets hate it.

1 Like

You wouldn’t say that if you had a dog and lived in one of those neighborhoods. My poor doggo barked herself to exhaustion.

3 Likes

Looks like LA, like my own city, does a real bang up job of fireworks ban enforcement.

Interesting.
With our (also mostly technically illegal) fireworks for New Year’s in Austria, the best fireworks are to be seen in those parts of town where everyone has a big garden and doesn’t mind spending a hundred Euros or more on fireworks. Maybe it’s because the rich people’s houses here aren’t built using wood.

Also, question: Is there are traditional time for July 4th fireworks?
I only have our New Year’s fireworks for comparison, and those would be much less impressive if most people didn’t agree that they’re supposed to be set off between midnight and half past midnight. It would be much more expensive to keep up a decent frequency of fireworks for longer.

And of course, a belated “happy 4th of july” to America, and an even more belated happy 150th birthday to Canada.

[quote=“zathras, post:10, topic:104088”]
Maybe it’s because the rich people’s houses here aren’t built using wood
[/quote]The main concern here in the US isn’t so much homes catching fire, though there’s always the potential. The issue is brush and dry vegetation catching flame. At least in the various states that i lived in all had firework bans because of that sole reason, and the 4th of July being in Summer doesn’t help for sure. Some counties within those states will allow firework sales though. I don’t know what the logic is there but go figure, people use that as a loophole to stock up on fireworks anyway.

2 Likes

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a firework, is a good guy with a gun.

Idea for a new novella: The Passion of the Reddit Karma Victim

Well, this potential is often realized.

2 Likes

1 Like

That’s not Culver City in the foreground. If we were looking toward Century City from there, it would be. But that’s not the case.

The space that seems spared of fireworks consists of non-residential warehouse buildings just outside Culver City and inside the City of Los Angeles. So that’s what it is and all that it is. No one held a fireworks party there. If they had tried that, LAFD and county agencies would likely have shut it down in a hurry, because further uphill from here are the equally dry grass-covered oil fields.

3 Likes

Well, you know, the traditional time for the July 4th fireworks tends to be on the 4th of July.
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Not that I’m aware of.

Professional fireworks shows will have a set start time, of course. But regular people setting them off (legally or illegally) don’t wait for a certain time.

Where I am, loud noise-making fireworks are set off randomly during the day. Bright, light-emitting fireworks start at dusk and last well past midnight.

2 Likes

Our neighborhood has a surprisingly (to me, anyway) high number of… ahem… amateur pyrotechnicians, and they generally seem to begin rehearsals around June 29, build up a bit through dusk on July 4, taper off in order to catch the nearest pro show at 9:00, then cut loose from 9:30 until they run out of stuff, usually by midnight, but they always seem to find just one more M80 that rolled under the couch around 2:30 AM July 5.

But seriously, there’s most of a week where at least a handful of fireworks go off.

My wife and I were worried about our dog, but he seemed remarkably blase about the noise.

3 Likes

We drove I-90 through the west side of Cleveland at about 10:30-11:00 on the 4th.
It looked magical, fireworks going off all over the city, a glorious sight from the freeway. The minute we hit Lakewood, the first suburb, the fireworks ceased. You could see a clear line of demarcation.

The eldest daughter lives in Cleveland, and two of the dogs* freak out from fireworks. One dog is totally cool with it, and just tracks the noise with his ears. She’s complained all week about it, similar to @Donald_Petersen’s timeline.

*To be fair, one of the freak-out dogs also freaks out from thunder, motorcycles outside, and many invisible things. She is the special needs grand-puppy, and we all love her despite the extra-special handling she requires.(Sigh) ETA asterisk.

1 Like