CA Governor Brown vows to launch "our own damn satellite" if Trump shuts down climate research

It would be interesting if these departments shifted to only providing verified data and no interpretation until Trump is out of office.

“This graph shows that the average temperature of the continental US is rising, what does that mean?”

“What does anything really mean, if you follow me?”

“And why is Manhattan covered in blue on this map?”

“Blue is such a lovely color, don’t you think?”

6 Likes

Oh, the one that will separate us from the rest of the continent?

Can’t wait.

1 Like

As much as I like a strong federal defense of civil rights and federally-coordinated solutions to environmental, health care, and economic challenges…this year has had me majorly rethink a couple of things. 1) The guy who comes after your guy might be a total raving lunatic, and 2) Why should California’s staunch progressivism be stymied by those who would seek to undo it?

I hate to take my toys and go home, but…

3 Likes

Alas, I moved from CA back to VA last year. Couldn’t afford a place to live after grad school. :frowning:

2 Likes

Couldn’t California just use the satellites already up there?

Now this is the Jerry Brown I’ve always gotten excited about! Pissed off at those in charge and doing something about it!

Politically, culturally, a hypothetical California addition to Canada would absolutely swamp us. They’d have half the seats in the House of Commons by population. More than half. The next Prime Minister would probably be from California, and the Queen’s next G-G might also, just for political show.

I mean, I could live with that, but…

5 Likes

Interestingly, Congress is passing a new bill directing NOAA to improve its weather forecasting by applying techniques developed in climate forecasting.

1 Like

On the plus side it would finally break the Ontario-trying-to-keep-Quebec-from-leaving lovefest that has been Canadian politics for the last 100 years.

3 Likes

Not central or southern Illinois, but I’m with ya!

1 Like

When Jerry Brown’s aura is frowning, you know shit got real.

7 Likes

I’m waiting for the suede denim secret police.

2 Likes

Damn you. Now I have Jello yodeling stuck in my head.

3 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

You don’t want New Hampshire. They have some coastline, leave em to live free.

Everyone just got tricked. No need to take it personally.

3 Likes

If California has to take Don Cherry, the deal’s off.

1 Like

Most of the left-leaning folks, at least here on the bbs, are pretty transparent about the fact that capital-S States’ Rights is an idea to be wary of mostly because of its historical context of removing rights from people and preserving oppressive regimes over protected classes of people. Small-s states’ rights aren’t in themselves a bad thing.

And once again, as with a lot of the “Well, I guess now we’re just like them” moments of bitter self-reflection, there’s a lot of meaningful difference in the details. The latest “States Rights” moves on the right have been to refuse money from the federal government, just so they don’t have to give subsidized health care to poor people, and to restrict the rights of gay people. Compare that to CA continuing critical environmental research, relaxing punitive drug laws and allowing women access to vital medical services.

If democrats have been making hollow arguments about states’ rights, yes I suppose you could make a hypocrisy argument, but if they’ve been criticizing the right for they reasons they’ve used this particularly blunt tool of democracy, then all the self-reflective hand-wringing is unnecessary.

5 Likes

But what if they die?