Calculating Facebook's value by figuring out how much you'd have to pay users to quit

I don’t think I understand how something could be bought that nobody/everybody owns.

1 Like

Sure you can’t buy an idea, but you can certainly buy out your competition after they’ve spent years trying to make that idea a reality. Facebook has the money and has shown the will many times over the last few years.

2 Likes

For $1000+: sign me up. (but I’d settle for much, much less. Shhhhh.)

1 Like

You know I am just gonna say

#deletefacebook

3 Likes

I’d do it for about $60.

Inaccurate way to calculate. More like:

1. Take value of a third party company (say, Apple) to make a viable competitor and take 1/3 of their revenue. $1B to build and marked a product to earn $10B a year = no brained.

2. Once a viable option exists from a company that is more trusted and doesn’t have a history of revealing customer data intentionally (and taking breaches seriously), THEN ask customers how much they’d pay to switch.

3). Multiply that $0 by # of users. Zero times a billion is still zero.

For most carriers, FB is currently mandatory shovelware. It’s a great argument for rooting your phone. Sadly, the S7 is three kinds of green hell to root, although it CAN be done (no custom bootloader, though; you have to use hacked Odin for EVERYTHING; ugh) ^^’ .

Re: leaving FB: Shee-it, if I hadn’t left long ago, I’d pay at least a little to get their tentacles out of my life. Luckily, I never used my real name/info with them…

For sure. What they are actually researching is negative punishment (or the removal of a ‘positive’ stimulus), not the value of how rewarding it is to use Facebook.

It’s a great way to artificially inflate the value of something. For example, game developers exploit this to increase the amount players will pay in free-to-play games.

Instead of charging a player for rare items, they charge the player for inventory space so they are not forced to part with items. They pay more to avoid the negative punishment of throwing out rare items than they would actually pay for those items.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.