California city bans smoking and vaping in apartments

If it’s being implemented for health reasons why would vaping be lumped in with the ban? How would a vaping ban in a private residence even be enforced?

6 Likes

A big challenge with vaping is the lack of solid evidence of long term health effects. It’s just too new.

3 Likes

I only smoke (and now only dry vape) herbs; never cared for cigarettes though I’ve had enough friends and loved ones who did that I can put up with it outside. But even my dry vape I only use outside on the back patio as I don’t want my house seasoned with it. When I rented, I used the attached patios as well and always went for a top floor so it wouldn’t waft up to other patios. I never wanted to force anyone else to share my smoke.

7 Likes

So, are there any similar restrictions anywhere on outdoor cooking grills/smokers?
They put out orders of magnitude more smoke than a mere cigarette or bong.
(Not including outdoor fire bans during Red Flag warnings, etc.)

4 Likes

Yeah. I know it’s a filthy habit, I can’t imagine doing it inside like parents used too. I like to dry some mullein leaves (Verbascum thapsus) to mix in with my tobacco, and maybe some sage (and some other herbs, if time allows, if you know what I mean). But I’m always really aware of where my stink cloud is going and try to minimize affects on other people.
The fact that I live in Maine and only smoke outside speaks to how gross I think smoking inside is.

5 Likes

There are two types of vaping. Please don’t lump dry vapes in with cartridge vapes as that lack of distinction can lead to bad laws.

3 Likes

In my experience/region (BC Canada). A majority of buildings do not allow charcoal bbqs or smokers. There are fire regulations in some cities that effectively ban them in multi dwelling units as well albeit for different reasons.

3 Likes

I mean, a lot of people hate the smell of herbs. I used to smoke the occasional cigar, but eventually decided the two days of ash-try mouth and extra laundry cycle weren’t worth it.

And also, not all are created equal. I don’t know the details of brands or addatives, but I know some cigarettes smell considerably worse to me, and skunk weed is called that for a reason.

3 Likes

I agree they are very different.

However I have yet to see much in terms of long term studies on either. So in that respect, I would still say they are both challenging to design evidence based regulations on. So I imagine many places will error on the side of caution, whether that is correct is of course up for debate.

I think others have answered, but since you were replying to me, I think it’s that the effects of vaping exhaust haven’t really been studied enough.

Good question. Did you know in some jurisdictions it’s illegal to be nude in your own home? One dream project of mine is to get hired by the city or state to go through all the laws and ordinances and get rid of any that can’t be realistically, consistently enforced. Having laws like that on the books weakens law enforcement at the best, and allows for prejudicial and biased enforcement at the worst.

Good question. Or on Diesel engines? I’ve been jogging and got passed by one of those and felt the years come off my heart.

4 Likes

Like cloves? I knew a guy who smoked cloves. It was actually quite nice, but then again that was occasional exposure.

3 Likes

Cartridge vapes contain gods know what additives.

Cannabis and tobacco leaves have been smoked for millennia. Dry vaporizers heat the ground leaves to a temperature that vaporizes the plant oils without combusting them, reducing the tar content. It produces literally nothing that isn’t also delivered by smoking the plant. I would call that a vast difference in scientific evidence.

I have no idea if this would work for cigarettes, but it’s in widespread use for cannabis.

I just want to make this clear because regulations on cartridge vapes should not be the same as on dry vapes.

4 Likes

Blockquote

Did you know in some jurisdictions it’s illegal to be nude in your own home?

Blockquote

That is crazy to me. Unless you also cut a glory hole in your shared wall. Then we can start thinking about this like second hand smoke :wink:

Edit - I can’t quote apparently…

1 Like

Just add a > before the quote :wink:

3 Likes

:wink:

Not all of us live in places where euphemisms can be safely discarded just yet. Even if I’m not worried about here, practice makes perfect where discretion is concerned.

2 Likes

To be fair, people smoke cloves. They make cigarettes of them and everything.

But I understand op-sec.

4 Likes

“In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets, steal loaves of bread, and smoke in their apartments.” Anatole France (amended)

7 Likes

Does this apply if you own a condo, coop or townhouse that’s connected? Or just to renters?

4 Likes

This strikes me as bullshit that is unenforceable.

People smoke. Criminalizing a common and habitual behaivor never works- it always, ALWAYS fucks the poor, and the rich are unaffected.

See every part of the failed war on drugs, and Prohibition.

When are people going to learn you can’t criminalize something like this and expect compliance? Human beings don’t work this way no matter how much you want them to. This will only fuck the poor. Mark my words.

7 Likes

Your tobacco allergy is a valid health concern. So is the chronic pain and other medical issues for which many people need to take cannabis. Lucky you, your health needs aren’t being criminalized.

Outlawing tobacco I can understand, but outlawing vaporizing cannabis, feels over-reaching, shitty, and, considering the selective enforcement, yeah, classist and racist.

3 Likes