California enacts law expanding legal protection for journalists

[Permalink]

The new law, which takes effect on Jan. 1, will require any government agency or individual to provide five days’ notice to reporters and their news organizations before seeking a subpoena of journalistic information from a third party, such as an internet service provider or cell phone company.

I’m still not sure I understand who is and who isn’t protected by this law outside of the CA part.

Is a video content producer that receives a substantial portion of their income from youtube a protected journalist?

OKAY. NOW I am glad I worked on Jerry’s campaign for President back in 1992.

The man is a decent and capable leader and governor. $10/hr minimum wage AND NOW THIS.

After Gov.Schnitengrabber, I’m proud to be a Californian again.

Oh! So they are going to offer 4th and 5th Amendment protection to a special class of the influential companies that they will not offer to the masses–because offering them to everyone would be stupid, right? So do I have to register as a journalist to receive protection under the law? So I can hand in my 1st Amendment protection as well. I can hear civil liberties organizations writing up their Equal Protection law suits from here.
Why doesn’t Boing Boing get it?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.