California governor Gavin Newsom signs laws raising healthcare workers' minimum wage to $25 an hour over coming years

Originally published at: California governor Gavin Newsom signs laws raising healthcare workers' minimum wage to $25 an hour over coming years | Boing Boing

9 Likes

He really is all over the place, isn’t he.

18 Likes

Unions for the win on this one.

28 Likes

With so much money being vacuumed up by the U.S. healthcare industry it will be good seeing some of it trickle down to the working-class grunts who actually need it.

15 Likes

He is. He confuses me greatly, and for someone with presidential aspirations, that’s not do good.

13 Likes

A win for workers. Great.

Is not vetoing an obviously beneficial law passed by the tireless work of others really all it takes to be an angel?
Newsom didn’t actively sabotage the gains unions and progressives fought for (this time). I’d like to think that would be the absolute bare minimum anyone could do that the democratic party would even consider endorsing them for a public office

14 Likes

Yeah, I don’t mean to be a buzz kill, but the fact that they’ll be earning $25/hr by 2033 just doesn’t seem that great of a win. Definitely better than nothing, but $25/hr today is barely a living wage in most of CA. :frowning:

20 Likes

I was going to say this too. I completely agree!

9 Likes

This.
When I left my bay area union grocery job in early 2000 - TWENTY THREE YEARS AGO - I was making 22/hour.
The race to the bottom for a lot of people is very real.

11 Likes

Pretty sure those angel wings are heavily ironic.

4 Likes

Even if you’re in a union, that’s no guarantee you will get a living wage without almost the same amount of shibai as the original people who struck for better conditions and pay. I haz a sad.

6 Likes

So goes the value of the last 5-15 years of most of our lives…

1 Like

Hauling out Studs Terkel! Nice!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.