California governor Gavin Newsom vetoes law that would have capped price of insulin

Originally published at: California governor Gavin Newsom vetoes law that would have capped price of insulin | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Yet more proof.

Season 5 Showtime GIF by Dexter

17 Likes

Yup.

It’s amazing how quickly he’s blown any chance of me voting for him in a presidential primary.

8 Likes

He wants those pharma campaign contributions.

5 Likes

I’ll be supporting Whitmer or Pritzker in the 2028 primary. No way I would ever support Mr Kimberly Guilfoyle.

2 Likes

That aspect isn’t great, but it isn’t as if flat dollar amount price caps have a long history of success.

3 Likes

But then it has to pass through a food chain where every step is dedicated to taking profit, and the attitude that if you’re not dead, then you have money that rightfully belongs to their shareholders.

186312-Well-There-s-Your-Problem

5 Likes

What is wrong with him this week? It’s like he got a conservative brain transplant.

4 Likes

When a person with no power says they won’t bother trying to improve things because it won’t make a difference, it’s frustrating. But when a person that has the power to directly make a difference just by signing a damn form says that he won’t do anything to limit pharma price gouging because if he did, the companies would just take people’s money in a different way:

Angry Too Much GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Maybe stop insulin price-gouging now, and then immediately work on the price-gouging of health insurance premiums next

8 Likes

Did somebody get a little bit of campaign “grease”??.

1 Like

The law is unnecessary, Newsom says, because the government insulin is going to be cheap and a price cap would encourage insurers to cheat by moving the cost to premiums.

“going to be” – when? I went to the CalRx website to see if it said anything about when this government-provided insulin would be available. I didn’t see anything about the time frame.

Given that there’s government bureaucracy involved, I suspect this government insulin won’t be available for at least 5 or 10 years. What does Mr. Newsom intend diabetics in California are supposed to do until then?

From the little I read about it, the goal of the CalRx initiative sounds like a good thing. But if it’s being used to justify not doing something concretely good now in favor of nebulous future good, do better Mr. Newsom.

10 Likes

Illinoisian here…I have been so pleasently surprised at how Pritzker has turned out…when he first ran, I was like, “great another billionaire running for office for vanity,” and yet, he’s turned out to be one of the best governors we’ve ever had.

I will definately be supporting him when, not if, he goes up for President.

Ditto. That and the pandering to chauvinists by vetoing the bill outlawing caste discrimination.

2 Likes

dude is losing my vote !

Good ol Governor Haircut. Last year he vetoed a bill that would have re-instated automatic pay increases for CSU employees.

1 Like

And he’s superb on the stump.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.