California hiking family and dog's cause of death finally determined

I had hyperthermia once as a kid/youth and I kind of blacked out. What I remember was sort of instinctively seeking water, like insensibly sensible, so I find it surprising if the water was nearby that the dog didn’t go for it even. Then again I guess who knows, like maybe it was so distressed it stayed by the humans, or maybe the baby succumbed first and they were overwhelmed with that… who knows. It’s horrible though.

3 Likes

Yeah. Hiking in the NM rockies, our last day of the trip the pump was dry.

Each of us had about a gallon of water each.

We started at about 7, and got into base camp at noon.

All of us were severely dehydrated and I was very close to passing out by the time base camp staff saw us coming down the trail.

It was pretty much the sickest I’ve ever felt. Awful way to die.

4 Likes

Yikes. Did you delete that because of how unbearably sad it is to think about, or because it was maybe inaccurate?
So sad no matter how it went down, but that adds an exponent to the equation…:cry:

3 Likes

It’s a weird story. And so horribly sad. From what I understand, they were not inexperienced hikers. I guess it’s a warning to us all. Just because you know what you’re doing, don’t underestimate the conditions. I’ve taken risks and got lucky. But it’s surprising how quickly “a bit uncomfortable” turns into a serious problem.

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking the same thing. It’s very humbling, isn’t it?
I’ve been rather cavalier about risks during outdoors stuff in the past and just now realize I’ve repeatedly gotten lucky. This poor family.

7 Likes

Because I realized it’s ghoulish to wax conjectural on this tragedy.

6 Likes

I went through a phase of doing it for the humbling feeling. I’m glad that’s over.

1 Like

This explanation seems too convenient given the complete circumstances. Also, wasn’t dehydration ruled out early on in the investigation? I mean, it’s completely plausible, but… I dunno. It feels off.

Dehydration and hyperthermia, while closely related, are different. You can die of hyperthermia without being dangerously dehydrated.

But I think it’s extremely likely dehydration and hyperthermia were the major constituents in the equation. Very easy to die of exposure that way.

2 Likes

Sheeeit, I got that way once flippin’ salmon.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.