California kindergarten vaccination rates soar

I’m surprised. If Wikipedia is to be believed, the measles vaccine arrived in '63, but the rest only started coming in around '67.

My mumps case was around the late '50s or 'early '60s, I think - I recall being in my uncle’s place in Parry Sound with my cousins, and we all had them (pity the adults). I had measles before '67 (we moved to a new place a few blocks over that year), but I suspect it would have been roughly '62 or '63, not long after we returned to Montreal from Philadelphia.

3 Likes

The chicken pox vaccine missed me by a few years and I got The Pox as a youth.

I’m not looking forward to the possibility of shingles in the future that’s for damn sure.

5 Likes

Worth trying the shingles vaccine out, I think - shingles is nasty.

5 Likes

I’m not old enough to qualify yet (I have a way to go until I’m 50) but you better believe I’ll be asking for this as soon as I qualify.

5 Likes

Yeah, my mom was unfortunately not vaccinated against rubella in the 60’s, and when she was pregnant with me in 1972 she caught it. And that’s the most likely reason why I have 3 different congenital defects.

5 Likes

As far as I knew, I was naturally immune to chicken pox. My parents exposed us (accidentally, I think) as kids and neither my brother nor I got it. He ended up getting it at 16. I went on to teach preschool pre-vaccine; at least 3 of my classes came down with it but I had nothing.

At 35 I got shingles. Turns out, I don’t get a rash with varicella. Which led to a bit of difficulty diagnosing it because a) I was sure I’d never had chicken pox, and b) there’s nothing to go on without the rash except “oh my god I’m in pain give me drugs”.

I’m up to 3 bouts with shingles now but my insurance still won’t pay for the vaccine because I’m too young. I’m gonna go see what Costco charges for it and pay out of pocket because it’s SO. SO. TERRIBLE.

12 Likes

The rubella vaccine was a bit rare for young adults after it came out (I’m not sure why). I never got one either, and I caught rubella around 1977 when I was working in Burlington, Ontario. There was a pregnant woman in the office, but we dodged a bullet - it manifested on a Monday (probably incubated over the weekend), I stayed home until it ran its course, and that was it.

3 Likes

Yeah you’d think after children, women of childbearing age would be the next batch to get vaccinated. I guess my mom just missed the window - she was only 24 when she had me.

5 Likes

Having worked in several countries with terrible sanitation, and having had close contact with people maimed by polio, I am very upset about your comment. While sanitation is having a huge impact, your dismissal of the importance of vaccinations is simply outrageous.

To be clear: vaccinations are not only an additional option besides better sanitation. They are the only thing which can lead to an eradication, which is overdue.

And if you insist on alleging that the decline of polio, and the possible worldwide eradication are just coinciding with vaccination, we have serious beef, you and I.

4 Likes

You’re right - but I guarantee you Max is being sarcastic

4 Likes

Post edited for clarification…

1 Like

I’ll have to take your word for it. I have not missed the follow-ups by others, but statements like this put a serious strain on me.

I have seen children die. Not of polio, but other preventable diseases. This haunts me, still.

4 Likes

Thanks for the edit.

I’ll have to chill a bit, it seems. Sorry.

4 Likes

he was responding to the antivax loon who had at one of their posts eaten. but yes the sarcasm tag always helps in a text only forum.

4 Likes

It is fine. I have had similar experiences. What is sad is that a completely absurd statement, like the one I made, can be seen as a legitimate opinion. It is “flat earth” mentality, except that there is a real human cost.

8 Likes

It’s okay, I typed out a whole rebuttal and hit post before it clicked for me, too.

6 Likes

It’s not about vaccination, it’s about ethics in medical journalism.

/s

7 Likes

@Max_Blancke SUPER TROLL

I got the chickn vax in my early teens, when it first came out, my parents never exposed me, glad they developed a vax so I didnt have to get it as a teen/adult.

Since we are talking about vax’s, what about HPV vax for adults, currently not recommended, but why not given potential for harm in cancer due to possible extreme longevity.

1 Like

It isn’t like the designers and manufacturers of vaccines are in thrall to Big Mercury. Thimerosal is the best and safest vaccine additive currently known to medicine for limiting germ and bacteria growth in the vaccine. Methylmercury is absolutely dangerous in quantity - cf mad hatters’ disease - and it crosses the placental barrier, so pregnant women might want to lower their dietary intake of piscivorous fish, but the danger of the quantites in vaccines is essentially nil, certainly less than the risk of secondary infection from untreated vaccines, which in turn are far less than the dangers connected to gettingthe 'flu.

11 Likes

According to Dr. Blancke, an older person who lives a non-monogamous lifestyle may be wise to request the vaccine, but they are likely to have to pay full cost. Because few if any insurance policies will cover it after 26 years of age. People from 9-26 are statistically the most likely to benefit from the vaccine. There is also some emerging research to show that the vaccine can help women fight the disease if the vaccine is administered after virus detection during a pap smear exam.

1 Like