California students will all receive free lunch

Exactly. This way, it becomes a de facto attendance record, if anything. No more data to be mined here than the school enrollment; which also makes me think that such data selling would not be done.

4 Likes

I’d forgotten that you have to buy lunch at US public schools. When I started at my combined middle school / high school in PA, for the first year I would spend my whole lunch allowance every day on two of these giant cookies they did. The staff* didn’t care because consumer choice, and I doubt it even occurred to my parents that such a thing was possible.

* speaking of school lunch cashiers, that’s a job CA can now eliminate. If lunch is available to everyone in the building, you don’t need cash registers or proprietary card systems sold by some politician’s brother-in-law.

6 Likes

Yes, this was totally an option at my school as well. I wouldn’t have called them giant, but a couple cookies or a cookie and a milk was the same price as a lunch. They were probably meant as add-ons, but I’m sure some kids just exclusively bought them.

4 Likes

Great, now low-income kids in California will grow up thinking that people care about their welfare and health and happiness. So many wasted opportunities to teach children that life is cruel and demeaning and unpleasant – for the poor, at least. And because they’re better fed, they’ll also probably learn better too, and we all know what that means – evolutionists!

/s

Honestly, this is awesome, and I wish my own state would follow suit.

9 Likes

Not an option at my school, growing up. You got what was on the menu, and if you had any special dietary needs, you didn’t eat. I was a vegetarian for much of high school, and there was literally zero effort made to accommodate that.

(I have no idea what would happen if someone kept kosher or halal. My guess is, they’d just have to pack their lunch, but considering the homogeneity of the town I grew up in, I doubt it came up)

2 Likes

Nothing owns Republicans more than giving children free food.

2 Likes

Excellent. Next… Make UCs free again.

2 Likes

I think this actually makes California 6th, maybe 7th??

Still great news! Amazing progress!

looks like the others are Vermont, Maine, Massachusetts, and then maybe New York, Minnesota, and/or Colorado

9 Likes

Oregon, too.

Yeah, a lot of states have made this a temporary change, but from what I read the universal free school lunch program in California is permanent.

6 Likes

could be, lets hope they all do so. I think MA is a 1 year extension, for now. It sounded like VT and ME were permanent.

3 Likes

I’m just here for the Jell-O. /s

Getting Old 30 Rock GIF

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.