California teacher suspended after doing horribly racist and mocking "Native American dance" to teach math concepts

By Becoming Revolutionary Orators, Young Girls Become Very Great Women! (Really Good Speakers!)

2 Likes

Regarding acronyms (rather than the original topic)…

I don’t remember being taught any acronyms in high school subjects (lo, these 50 years ago). Which either means I wasn’t taught 'em or they didn’t stick.

By comparison, I vividly recall my physics teacher, marching back and forth and banging on a plastic wastebasket, chanting “subtrahend to minuend!” I don’t think that was based on any ethnic anything (I hope it wasn’t!)

So I vote for chanting over acronyms, when it comes to memorization.

I hope to goodness you aren’t advocating for what this teacher did, in an odd “ends justify means” way? Because it kinda sounds like you are.

4 Likes

yeah absolutely, I’m from Massachusetts and just about every childhood memory of natives is steeped in racism… the logo for the statewide highway (phased out through the 90s) is another banner example

Wikipedia seems to indicate there’s some debate about why it was changed. Apparently it may have been because the arrow was confused as indicating direction and not because of native complaints, which certainly seems believable and very :man_facepalming:

8 Likes

A very kind music teacher of mine once suggested putting things we wished to memorize to the melody of popular songs or songs we liked. I’ve used that to memorize things ever since and it works really well if one is inclined to remember melody and rhythm well at all.

Most impressively… it doesn’t require doing a clownish impersonation of a native person!

10 Likes

Change the hat with an arrow to a smallpox blanket. No more confusion.

5 Likes

Totally! I can still list the US States in alphabetical order thanks to the oh-so-catchy “50 Nifty United States” song we learned in 5th grade.
They Might be Giants did great stuff with this notion, too.

Ooooh, @DonatellaNobody …dark. That’s dark.

6 Likes

Which state is West Xylophone again?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.