Cambridge Analytica data-raid: the number is "much greater than 87 million"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/18/sex-compass.html

4 Likes

“much greater than 87 million.”

Good, that narrows it down.

7 Likes

How much greater? How many?

1 Like

All the friends of the 87 million. Especially galling is that this includes careful users that go on every month or so and spend a half-hour re-adjusting their security and privacy and ad settings, but who have “friends” who click on anything.

9 Likes

Surely many of those friends are already among the 87 million? Numbers, I want numbers!

I downloaded an app once to learn Hiragana, and I was disappointed to learn my “free” app would only teach me 10 characters and the rest were inexpensive.

I remember this app demanding a lot of weird permissions. I wonder if they sold me to CA?

2 Likes

I want Revelations! with a side of Deuteronomy!

6 Likes

Stupid quizzes posted on Facebook – I’m thinking this might also provide data to bots, ya? Does anybody know if perhaps Facebook gets access to at least some of the quiz data?

1 Like

I always assumed it was to scrape for bad passwords. I saw a “what was the name of your childhood pet” quiz the other day. Why not just ask “What was your mothers maiden name?”.

2 Likes

The upper bound is the total number of Facebook users. That’s probably the most accurate estimate.

7 Likes

"much greater than 87 million"

JMcC

All of it.

4 Likes

Well, the buried lede here is that at least CA were good at something!

via Imgflip Meme Generator

I really look forward to the day CA is out of the news so I don’t have to look at that ridiculous logo with its pseudo graph. Why do the lines bend without nodes? WHY?! ANSWER ME!!!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.