Can a supermagnet dangerously affect the iron in blood?

oh jesus no. Can’t they give you a nice safe X-ray bath or soemthing?

4 Likes

Well, the smaller the bit of metal is, the less influence it’ll feel from the magnetic field.

So it doesn’t tear your blood out. And from what I’ve heard, small piercings tug, and heat up an awful lot but tend not to get pulled out.

But then you have stuff like oxygen tanks, and gurneys, and those work up quite a turn of speed on their way to the magnet.

6 Likes

Well, I didn’t personally witness it.

The researcher in the office next door did.

5 Likes

Hell, they refused to give me an MRI without a conventional X-Ray to scan for bits of metal first, and that was just because I’d recently done some blacksmithing and HVAC ducting (not at the same time :)). Apparently having a tiny particle of metal in your eye is really, really bad when the MRI starts whirling it around.

5 Likes

I hope no one was in the way of this floor-cleaner.

http://www.mrisafety.com/TheList_search.asp First page: 357 Magnum Revolver. “Respect Ma Field Strength!”

3 Likes

I was thinking more of the self-ejecting tomato in Monty Python’s The Cycling Tour.

2 Likes

The density of air at room temperature is 1/1000th that of water, and air molecules are moving at speeds of, on average, around 500 m/s without the magnet. So no possible discernible effect.

The density of styrofoam is 1/20th that of water. That block is between 1 and 2 grams. The density of the cup is about the same as water, but that whole cup has a mass of maybe 1 g. In other words, the empty cup plus the styrofoam have a mass of 2 to 3 grams. The cup plus block plus blood is maybe 65 to 70 grams. Remove the blood, you are removing 95% of the electrons from the objects being pushed. The empty cup and block are pushed by the magnet, but the effect is now too small to observe.

Case in point:
(also, those watermarks will slide right off any second,)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.