Can games exist without players?

[Read the post]

1 Like

Headline contains a question mark. No is axiomatic.

7 Likes

My first thought is of a game like Pyroto Mountain, which Coryā€™s played.

Sure, there were rules that had been programmed by Tim, butā€¦the players WERE the game.

Yes. They are called simulations. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation

4 Likes

When can we get some proper terminology getting in here? If thereā€™s no gameplay, then itā€™s not a game; a game without a player isnā€™t even an interactive movie. The term youā€™re looking for, in fact, is indeed a movie. Now if youā€™re talking a game thatā€™s mainly meant to be seen as art rather than something fun or entertaining, Iā€™m inclined to say interactive experience. Course the line can be blurred a little bit, Iā€™d probably consider the works of Jason Rohrer to be games, although some of them like

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with a work being either of those, but itā€™s a bit mad to get offended when people buy something that was advertised as a game, and then complain about it because they didnā€™t understand your rather bizarre definition of a game.

1 Like

The computer is the player.
Someone, something is the decision maker.

A game of chess with computer algorithms playing both black and white is still a game. Itā€™s just the nature of the participants.

Progress Quest has been a game without a player for a very long time. The computer does all the playing for you to save time.

1 Like

ā€œYes. Number of players: zero.ā€

ā€”Wargames.

2 Likes

Yet I still manage to suck at it.

2 Likes

The title is the updated version of ā€œif a tree falls in the forestā€. Makes it easier for city dwellers to understand the philosophical implications.

1 Like

Can games exist without players?

1. Well, yes. I have a game of chess stacked away in a box on the attic. Thereā€™s no players there, but itā€™s still a game.

2. You mean ā€˜no human playersā€™? Sure. AIā€™s can be players too, Iā€™d say.

3. Yeah, theyā€™re called televisions. No players in your living room, just spectators.

4. << insert whatever answer you can think of, based on your own interpretation of this ambiguous title >>

1 Like

Come to think of it, I have a mod for Civilization V that auto-plays until your civilization is ready to appear on the world stage - so you donā€™t have to play the Americans in 4000 BC. Sadly, you donā€™t get to watch the autoplay. I suppose that would be cheating.

1 Like

No. Those are called simulations.

1 Like

Unreal tournament all bots.

What about Progress Quest?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.