Can there be a mile-high skyscraper?

The Shard is quite glorious at night - it’s regularly visible on final approach to Heathrow and for a moment London is all Bladerunnery…

2 Likes

2 Likes
9 Likes

So all they have to do is check every atom.

I will just leave it here…

Here’s a much more useful idea that is still tall. These would be about 1 km high…

7 Likes

And were pretty harsh on their competitors with the “pile Pelion on Ossa” idea.

IIRC, the sweet spot (cost to build/energy yield) is around 750 m for the tower, at an ratio of 1:8 for diameter of tower to diameter of collector, but it’s been a while.
Anyway, you could combine a skyscraper and a SUT.

3 Likes

Todos Santos FTW:

1 Like
6 Likes

Nah just build a giant pyramid and have everyone move via escalators like the luxor in vegas

1 Like

Yikes!

As someone who did a lot of PID servo tuning for a living, I always wonder what’s gonna happen when a tuned damper fails (sticks? breaks?) and the systems goes unstable. Probably designed to be highly unlikely, but still…

2 Likes

The “micro” climate for the neighbors will be interesting, especially if they have solar power and are down-shade.

1 Like

Either way it’s a question of how much space you need to allocate to vertical corridors. The taller the building, the more total vertical traffic, and the more space you need for elevators or escalators at the ground floor. That said, if the building has a big enough footprint, it is possible to build it as a single continuous helical floor with a 3° slope, so that you can go from top to bottom in one unbroken (very long) wheelchair journey. But then if the building is very tall you need internal highways, which is the same vertical-corridor-space problem again.

Anyway, as I said in my previous reply, a pyramid has plenty of space for any of these options, but the vast bulk of its interior is windowless dungeon.

6 Likes

Link won’t inbox for some reason, but this is the elevator of the future for very big, very high buildings, apparently:
https://multi.thyssenkrupp-elevator.com/en/

1 Like

As previously referenced:

7 Likes

Pounds per square meter? WTF?

2 Likes

That sort of thing causes Mars probes to crash.

5 Likes

really the key is to do away with the elevators and just move the rooms.