Huge trippy skyscraper with top floors that appear to hover may be built in San Francisco

Originally published at: Huge trippy skyscraper with top floors that appear to hover may be built in San Francisco | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Let me guess: Ronald Hamburger will be chief engineer on the project.

14 Likes

Looks to me like the effect is simply the result of using an all-glass façade on the 6th floor of from the top which reflects the color of the surrounding sky.

20 Likes

(source)

24 Likes

Looks like two buildings got mixed up in someone’s Revit file. What an ugly edifice.

5 Likes

Much like the floating, the idea that any of these will be affordable is a cheap illusion.

20 Likes

Well here’s hoping they sink the piles to bedrock for this building

15 Likes

Needs a net around it to catch all the birds when they collide.

7 Likes

This would be murder for migratory birds, and should not be allowed.

8 Likes

Are they planning on building this one vertically?

4 Likes

Either mirrors, or if they want to get a little fancier use LCD panels broadcasting a video image taken from the other side of the building. Like a better version of the “invisible car” that Top Gear made a few years back.

3 Likes

“Low income” is where the illusion is most pronounced.

6 Likes

22 Likes

I’m reminded of the “poor floors” in Cory Doctorow’s Unauthorized Bread. I won’t be surprised if their access cards will only admit them to a rear entrance doorway, leading to an unfinished “lobby” that serves one elevator car that’s also shared with the rest of the tenants during peak hours.

11 Likes

I know I’m not optimistic enough to plan to build a building. (assuming I had piles of money sitting around to build buildings with) Maybe making it flashy is supposed to help make it pay off?

1 Like

A bargain at any price, if it stays vertical.

2 Likes

eb9c100e-20b2-4fd9-ad77-8dcac9f8e316_text

3 Likes

Low income and very low income are slippery beasts, particularly in a city like SF with severe inequality. In all likelihood they are using HUD guidelines for that cutoff. HUD numbers are based on metro-wide area median incomes. That sounds reasonable at first, but then you look closer. The median per capita income in the city proper is about 56k* per year. The HUD very low income cutoff is 65k for a single person household. That means that the very low income threshold is more than the median individual income. So 15% of units are affordable for a slightly higher than average income.

Edit: Missed that was bad data. The correct number should be 72K. That moves it above the very low income cutoff, but below the low income cutoff.

6 Likes

That’s pretty much their entire portfolio. Take some elements(typically aggressively reflective glass plus one other gimmick) that are more or less banal in the context of skyscraper construction; slap together a rectangle out of those; then start perturbing some of the values in the CAD model until your rectangle is less rectangular in a variably coherent way.

To top it all off; have two different projects named “infinity” in your portfolio to demonstrate the depth of your well of ideas.

2 Likes

The “Poor Door” as Chuck Rhodes Sr calls it.