Can you beat this mind-reading machine invented in 1953?

Originally published at: Can you beat this mind-reading machine invented in 1953? | Boing Boing

3 Likes

“uhhhh. . . I think so. . . ?”

4 Likes

Claude Shannon isn’t appreciated enough for being the real founder of our information age.

This reminds me of a story of a professor asking his class to generate a random sequence of heads or tails, either by actually flipping a coin or just generating the sequence themselves, betting them he’d be able to tell the coin- vs human-based ones, and being right at an extremely high percentage.

Turned out humans are pretty bad at being random, tending to skew towards an overall equilibrium. In particular, the professor was looking for sequences of 5 (or something) identical characters, which would likely be produced by a truly random algorithm but humans would avoid.

Edit: indirect citation

5 Likes

Super sus.

This is using the “AI” against a random coin flip. If this is true, then this guy should be in Vegas, playing roulette, using this AI. He’d win huge.

1 Like

Pitiful machine.

5 Likes

I was able to beat it 2 out of 3 times. I tried to turn my brain of and click as randomly as I could, being jerky with my motions so not every click even registered.

Neat, though! I imagine if i kept playing I’d get closer to 50/50.

2 Likes

It’s no match for my defective randomization.

3 Likes

Those are rookie numbers.

6 Likes

Nicely done. That’ll learn 'em.

3 Likes

Similar experience here.

I had a hard time beating it at first, but I noticed if I just clicked L/R on my keyboard and paid no attention to the red/blue scoreboard it was easy to win.

So possibly looking at the score effects how you click and plays into the algorithm’s favor.

1 Like

c0e3b6c4dc7e2ddb7e35dafdc8d0fd88

Same score :clinking_glasses:

Though I did lose round 1 :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Me too, but I learned fast :crazy_face:

3 Likes

I went with the “move the cursor back and forth and randomly click strategy”.

Great Success Win GIF

2 Likes

Third time’s the charm, and I’m ok with that

1 Like

Looks like the poor machine just isn’t prepared for the kind of randos we have here.

IMG_8976

4 Likes

I used the digits of pi. If odd, select left; if even, select right.

3 Likes

Well, with the score 3 to 8 in my favor, I’m pretty sure that it could be beat – once you know it’s looking for patterns, it seems to be easily fooled.

“Unbreakable” just sounds like a challenge to a Mutant.

3 Likes

yeah, i wonder if the original game – not having that context around it – would have been harder to beat. if you know it’s looking for a pattern, you can avoid patterns. if you don’t… well, we’re only human :person_shrugging:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.