Can you please stop with Cards Against Humanity

[quote=“seanodonnell, post:251, topic:56986, full:true”]
The tone of boingboing has definitely changed in recent times. In particular, there is a fairly large and consistent pushing of feminist propaganda, with those who might disagree with the points raised getting dogpiled and censored[/quote]

Inasfar as comment moderation is censorship (or the inherent groupthink of an internet community is censorship), we here have been “censoring” one another a lot longer than recent times. The idea that you might be familiar with Boing Boing without a corresponding knowledge of our years of ruthless, cutthroat censorship — unthinkable!

Alas, no, you just didn’t care to notice them. Here’s one from May, 2010:

Here’s feminist propaganda for every year since I’ve been here:

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/09/15/verizons-mildly-sexi.html

And of course these are just a handful I could remember or which were tagged with relevant terms.

“Very funny commentary on online sexism, especially as practiced in the techier corners of the net,” wrote Cory about a decade ago, encountering XKCD for the first(?) time.

What’s changed is that these issues have stopped being marginal or academic, and become a front line in America’s mainstream culture wars. I imagine that most of the editors here might be proud of what small contributions we made to helping things get that way.

It’s likely true that it’s posted about more frequently—but there’s a lot more to talk about.

Boing Boing has always published stuff like this, and comments like yours have always been posted by people when they suddenly realize it.

Even your tone of sighing disappointment is part of the legend!

/ https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ptOCAuEHRqu3jCpE7ThBwHdl1CfEHcevDnVz_abTxvg/edit

You didn’t use the word “disappointed”, however, so are ineligible for the list of people who are disappointed in Boing Boing.

23 Likes

As someone who only vaguely understands nannys and what they represent, I take offence to your free use of the term “nanny speak”, because of reasons.

2 Likes

I have to say it certainly feels that it’s gotten more preachy lately…and I’m not a new reader. My politics have moved slightly leftward over the years (although I’m still basically John Birch compared to most here) but recently I’m finding more and more “here’s how sexist/racist/everything-phobic you all are” posts.
But as long as there is generally smart commenting and enough cool geeky posts, I’ll continue to check in every day. (I know you were terribly worried that I might not.)

3 Likes

While I enjoyed the article, this kind of criticism always puts me in a difficult position. I hate Cards Against Humanity for a variety of reasons, but none of them involve telling people what’s okay/not okay to joke about. Framing the decision to purchase or not to purchase a shit board game as a moral struggle just doesn’t sit well with me.

For my part, I can say that I’ve played CAH a couple of times with close friends (not all of whom are white and not all of whom are men), and they enjoyed the damn thing a whole lot more than I did. Needless to say, I won’t be buying a copy.

I’ve been a reader since 2009 and I can’t say BB has ever preached at me.

Maybe you’re not the intended audience?

1 Like

As I said, being annoyed at some posts hasn’t kept me away, and I’d bet that BB would actually like to have a diverse audience, possibly including some people who disagree with them. After all, this post has succeeded brilliantly in driving eyeballs and clicks. Don’t forget, BB is a business.

1 Like

Take that to the Author herself, as jlw already stated:

This article is a guest piece.

270 odd posts about someone’s opinion of a card game.

Never let it be said that geeks don’t have a reasonable sense of proportion.

9 Likes

Too bad most people run adblockers then!

Let’s discuss the Hugo awards.

7 Likes

No, that’s a different thread I am arguing in.

(Puts on top hat (tweed top hat), monacle, and whistles away)

Better yet, lets talk about Gamergate.

3 Likes

You wish.

1 Like

My bad then.

1 Like

Thank you for that. I personally may argue over content or conclusion, but the only time I use the word ‘disappointed’ is for myself.

(Did I promise one post here but actually post four? The irony is Adam savaging me)

We NEED to behave in ways that we know are taboo, in a situation where we know that there are not consequences for doing so.

That’s a pretty big claim. Can you provide your sources? Thanks.

3 Likes

I don’t find the whole “punching up” versus “punching down” distinction to be all that valuable. Yes, sometimes it’s really obvious who’s in power. Sometimes it’s not.

Sez the white dude. You’re so edgy! No white dude has ever said what you’ve stated here in lots of tl;dr paragraphs, with LOTS of claims saying we NEED things, and lots and lots of “This is how things should go! I say so, therefore it shall be”. So many strawmen. So much confirmation bias. A lot of cynicism and going on and on about how AWFUL it will be for you, a white dude, to no longer be able to make shitty jokes about marginalized people. So unique! (/s) Wahh.

But, also, even if people who are members of your class are much more often in power than people who are members of another class, you as an individual may well not be in power at all.

I’m not even sure what this means! This doesn’t fucking mean anything!

Why are you the authority on the subject of marginalization?

7 Likes

Or maybe you get offended that people don’t like the things you do and so you write a 411 word response telling them to get over it and to just stop…

4 Likes

Actually, this article isn’t even on BoingBoing.
http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/review-cards-against-humanity/

1 Like

Same thing.

1 Like