Canada Post apologizes for stamps bearing decapitated head of prime minister John Macdonald statue

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/14/canada-post-apologizes-for-sta.html

Heh…

3 Likes

You can specify your own images on stamps in Canada? Wow!

8 Likes

Don’t want to hurt the feelings of a 130 years-dead dude’s statue

6 Likes

decapitated head of prime minister

OK technically that should read “head of decapitated Prime Minister” or “severed head of Prime Minister” since there’s no such thing as a headless head. /pedant

12 Likes

Partial statue of former canadian prime minister?

4 Likes

Indeed you can.

The feature does raise possibilities, although who sends letters any more?

5 Likes

You used to be able to do it in the US as well, but not any more.

5 Likes

These will be worth a fortune in 50 years.

4 Likes

10 Likes

I prefer these:

9 Likes

Wow, man, the colors…

5 Likes

The perfect stamp for my door of perception with mail slot. I have been meaning to write the mechanical elves a thank you note.

2 Likes

Does something happen when you lick them?

1 Like

I suspect nobody is still alive from those days, it’s been about 150 years.

I don’t want the stamps, but maybe I should have some stamps made with relatives photos, or maybe a collage, they did fairly intersect with Canada 150 years ago.

But we did get a legitimate stamp earlier this year, featuring Louis Riel and some others in the ( Provisional) Government in Red River. No relatives, despite six close relatives being in that government.

If the statue needed to come down, why did a white group do it? It’s like they thought the people directly affected couldn’t do it themselves.

So white columnists have told us why the statue needs to come fown, white people tear it down, white columnists tell us why it was okay to tear down.

What’s missing from this picture?

There are a million stories to tell, but all this space about how horrible a statue is, rather than real stories right now.

It’s way easier to be against something than to be for something.

Oh, I dunno. You can have an image of a head that is not decapitated. To decapitate is to cut the head off. You can have an image of a decapitated body, - so why not a decapitated head? (As opposed to any other kind of head) “The severed head of John Macdonald’s symbolically decapitated statue”. - Nah…too long

You can do the same here in Australia

I could see Xmas cards making a bit if a comeback this year what with the current circumstances.

This smear campaign is a thing of beauty.
What an incredible thing to have framed on your wall or to save for any time you address a scathing letter to a politician.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.