Canada's former defense minister: aliens will give us tech if we quit wars

Aliens? Who cares. Yes, lets give up war. The reason for giving up war is a secondary concern.

3 Likes

This guy seems like heā€™d be a real hoot at parties. Iā€™d totally sit and listen to his wacky stories, because I have a soft spot for crazy old dudes.

Also, yes to this:

1 Like

I was thinking about aliens hanging out on Jupiterā€™s moons or something like that. Light from the Atomic Bomb detonations have not reached many other planets outside of our solar system anyway. This presupposes an alien overseer watching over the planet and presumably deciding when to announce themselves/destroy the potential threat.

Iā€™d be inclined to agree (though not to necessarily assume that there are the fields of science necessary to be an intergalactic species). Just by looking at the math on how slowly even fairly crazy uses of nuclear propulsion gets you much of anywhere, it seems fairly clear that somebody with a thermonuclear starship is rather less well prepared to travel beyond their solar system than someone with a wooden raft and a supply of dried fish is to travel across the Pacific.

The only question is whether we are in fact missing something, or if dying withing spitting distance of where you evolved is just how things go in this universe.

1 Like

3 Likes

What if the aliens just want a specific demographic for bad thingsā€¦ such as:

Or:

Has anyone noticed these are very similar storiesā€¦

I hate to pop your balloon, but if you examine the facts, itā€™s been wars and military research that have lead to advances.

Transistors and Integrated Circuits ? Developed under DoD funding for the ICBM development effort.

And might I remind you, the INTERNET, and the TCP/IP protocol, were developed as a survivable network in case of nuclear war. . . .

1 Like

It was definitely a UFO, because it could change position in the sky by 3 or 4 degrees in 3 or 4 seconds. ā€¦ There was no other explanation for it except that it was the real thing."

Or, you know, the ISS, which travels across the sky at about that speed.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s necessarily always trueā€¦ while the Cold War did contribute to modern technology, I donā€™t think you can say the same about 19th century technological innovations always (though the American civil war did speed up some developements underwayā€“spread of railroads in the north for example, or canned foods). Iā€™d say maybe the key is not War/DoD per se, but government underwriting for technological innovation?

2 Likes

While itā€™s undeniable that military research has led to technological advances, itā€™s hardly the only source, and I donā€™t think thereā€™s any reason to assume itā€™s necessary to have wars for that sort of thing to happen. Whatā€™s needed is motivation- and right now humanity has plenty of reasons to innovate for its own survival that are much more dangerous than a hostile foreign power.

5 Likes

And WHY do governments underwrite research ? Heck, who underwrites most US Federally-funded research now ?? The greater National Security apparat. (i.e. DOD, Homeland Security, and the Intelligence Agencies). Even our research into infectious disease is funded by USARMIID. . .

Thatā€™s a textbook example of damning with faint praise.

1 Like

Sure, but my point was that not all technological innovations are tied to military spending, and this was less true before the second World War than it is now. Governments have been known to invest in things that donā€™t kill people once or twiceā€¦

2 Likes

There ARE vast fields of science that we donā€™t even know we lack yet.

They donā€™t kill people. . . .today. (Cue James T. Kirk, . . . .)

When TCP/IP was invented, nobody considered it could be weaponized. . .

ā€œI like to go to the park and watch the children scream and jumpā€¦ they donā€™t know Iā€™m shooting blanksā€¦ā€

1 Like

No, Iā€™m afraid thatā€™s an urban legend.

The Internet was purposely designed to withstand local administrative cluelessness and telco incompetence, both of which are (potentially) more devastating to computer communications than war. Until fairly recently you could knock out the Internet with exactly two low-yield nuclear devicesā€¦ however, with the globalization and commercialization of the 'Net, and the corresponding increase in redundant connections, itā€™s probably becoming fairly war-resistant these days.

2 Likes

Which is a great side effect of war.

But neither of us know if there were no war that we couldnā€™t or wouldnā€™t have achieved the same things, with masses of spare change left over. Itā€™s not like these things were devised by soldiers. Scientists would still exist, it would just be a different industry bank rolling them.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s kind of true. The big advantage of the Internet wasnā€™t that it was immune to disruption from someone blowing away a few central backbone links, it is that when someone stands up a replacement link the network heals itself quickly. This is as opposed to the manually configured routing solutions in previous networks that would require operators to update many nodes by hand if a big backbone link went down.

1 Like

Have you read Paul Edwardā€™s The Closed World? It discusses the relationship between the military ā€œclosed worldā€ and the emergence of computing (developed both within the military and in academic settings). But he discusses how even technologies not specifically developed as weapons had war time uses, or at least were imagined to have such. I canā€™t remember if he discusses TCP/IP protocols or notā€¦

And donā€™t forget that there were technologies adapted by the military from the civilian world, too (planes, the internal combustion engine). Iā€™d say both of those are just as if not more world changing than internet and the technologies that go along with itā€¦