Canadian citizen going to day spa in US turned away – needs immigrant visa

Put that on a poster under Trump’s picture and there you fucking have it.

34 Likes

This, combined with everything else is going to get very expensive.

I mean, what happens when trading cools, the prices of consumables spike hard and all the smart people leave?

6 Likes

Is it possible for the news crew to go back to the same border post with her!?

Not just directed @Missy_Pants, does anyone know if that’s a thing that can happen?

8 Likes

There’s your answer right there. White=tourist. Brown=immigrant or terrorist. Simple.

8 Likes

I hope it does, speaking as a USian, but not one in the tourism industry. Nothing but dollars will convince the people who value them over humanity.

10 Likes

Canadian citizen going to day spa in US turned away – needs immigrant visa

Trump’s new executive order: “Don’t let those Brownpeoplestanis in.”

4 Likes

I’m not gonna try that… you?

4 Likes

The US has been on the hostile country list since before George conducted America’s “election campaign on Canada” with Harper and the US Military.

3 Likes

So do I now need to start being concerned that my wife, an immigrant from the Philippines who is now a citizen of the United States, would be stopped if she tried to return to the United States after visiting relatives in Canada?

This country is quickly devolving into shit.

5 Likes

They shouldn’t be able to prevent a citizen of the US from entering the country.

But I wouldn’t put it past them to give her a hard time.

18 Likes

You say that but…

(still not sure about the sources on this one)

15 Likes

Yeah… May be a REALLY good idea to avoid the USA for a while while this absolute dumshittery runs it’s course.

If you’re not lily white, I expect that that means detention etc…

4 Likes

There are answers. Just not decent ones.

The question is “how dare a brown person try to get into our country! Did you hear her! She was trying to go to a white persons spa! Don’t they have separate but equal spas where she comes from?”.

2 Likes

Trump is going to kill international tourism, as well as international students coming to US schools. And I can’t blame anyone for not wanting to come here, whether that’s in protest or actual fear. The sad part is that the states that are going to be affected by this the most are (of course) not the ones that voted for Trump.

11 Likes

Will they allow a preponderance of evidence? Most ship records list country of origin (the Ellis Island project is a good – and free – resource for this) plus census reports, naturalization papers, etc. You could easily provide 10 different documents showing a consistency of reporting.

From there, your grandparents’ marriage license, then the birth record for their child/your parent, and your birth record naming the Irish-heritage parent.

You can get a free month’s trial at Ancestry and a few other sites like that, once you know exactly what you’ll be looking for.

7 Likes

Unfortunately, this is not new, visitors have been getting treated like this for quite a while now, there should have already been a point where it was too much, and it only got worse.

8 Likes

Ah yes, how is the US tourism industry going along?

Oh yeah. Right.

16 Likes

FTA

Though flight demand to the US dropped in 94 of 122 countries, Hopper found a notable exception in Russia, where flight search demand to the US was up by 88%.

Well that fucking figures.

10 Likes

Border control and immigration has been starved for funds over many years now, it’s hardly a Trump thing. Politically, if you take money away from any other part of the government, there’s a constituency that will raise a stink. But with this part of the government, the people who are hurt the most, don’t even have a voice, they’re not citizens. So it’s very safe to keep taking shortcuts and cutting get funding, since hardly anyone complains-relative to all the other sectors anyway.

In other words, I don’t think there are any cooler heads to prevail, they all left for better jobs long ago.

4 Likes

I won’t get into specifics, but I know someone who smuggled their wife across the border in the back of a pickup truck, because reasons. Presented for informational purposes only, mind you.

2 Likes