Canadian citizen going to day spa in US turned away – needs immigrant visa

The grandparent also needs to still be alive. Source: this is how my wife attained Irish citizenship.

3 Likes

Starved for funds over many years? Everything I am reading suggests immigration and customs enforcement budgets are way up. More than double since 2002, 25% in the last 4 years. Overall non-military discretionary spending is flat over that time period (ignoring a temporary spike for the financial crisis).

1 Like

My wife is American and is planning a trip back to the US this year to visit family. I was going to go with her, but … nah.

2 Likes

That sucks. How many times had you done that trip without needing the visa?

3 Likes

Could have been much worse. Remember the case of the Canadian Maher Arar who only wanted to change planes in USA and ended up tortured in Syria. It’s not as if xenophobia is a new invention by Trump.

6 Likes

They said 'So, you are a doctor that was recently giving a Fulbright?'
He said: 'Don’t I know you from the Grand Old Party?'
And they said: ‘Who are you to blow against the wind?!’

He said 'I need to call my clinic to at least cancel the patients,'
and they said, ‘No, you can’t touch the phone’.

8 Likes

My point exactly.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was agreeing with you. In retrospect it reads kind of needlessly combatitively!

Behold, the Fairy Tales of Trump have just begin.

Yes. It looks like you need birth certs, marriage and death certs for all in that line. I found that grandfather in the Irish online census records and have my grandparents ss applications - let’s hope the bc is there! Will they accept baptismal certs if that’s not available? My other grandparents origins won’t allow this, so it’s here or nowhere.

Though if it works you’re also an EU citizen and can travel the Schingen Zone freely and move anywhere there if desired. Pretty nice!

Of course - I still need to go back and change my own bc’s name and gender so it matches my other records. Never bothered to do that years ago as it was such a hassle - and not really needed back then. And in an unexpected twist they won’t give me a copy of my own damn birth certificate - because I changed by name. Even with a certified copy of the court ordered name change.

4 Likes

True. My partner did that as our Brexit-avoidance strategy.

No, my partner successfully applied for Irish citizenship last year, about twenty years after her grandparents died.

If it makes a difference, the formal situation is that the children of an Irish citizen qualify, and their children (even if the middle generation hasn’t applied) - and my partner’s parents are still alive.

Same here. We were planning to visit for August’s eclipse, but not any more.

10 Likes

Schengen. <grumpy>foreigners exploiting our achievements without even able to spell them</grumpy> : P

8 Likes

Again!

Is that anyway to treat the poor relations?

Yes - I do need my morning coffee! :grin:

2 Likes

5 Likes

In related news the tanning booth industry is in sharp decline as white Americans don’t want to risk looking “too brown”. (Fake orange tans are ok though.)

3 Likes

[quote=“Ministry, post:53, topic:96475”]
No
[/quote] Good to know! The rules may have changed our we were given incorrect information. But I’m glad to be wrong about it.

2 Likes

The new executive order is just some Sherman-Williams paint samples with notes like “whiter than this = OK”, Between these two = detain and question". Anything darker than “Carmel Tan” = NO USA FOR YOU!

1 Like

Not just. We have a very large immigrant community here in Atlanta and are an international hub for travel. GSU has an incredibly diverse campus. So, yes, those of us living in states that went red will also feel the effects.

Red states that went Trump also shot themselves in the foot and the dems are partly to blame for writing off parts of our states that aren’t cities.

2 Likes

Not nearly to the same extent. New York and California do nearly $10b a year in tourism each, Chicago, Boston…also top ten. Florida and Vegas do a lot of business too, and they’ll probably be hurting. But other cities in the US, no matter how many visitors you think you get or how diverse your colleges are, they’re only at most 1/10th that of NY and CA.

3 Likes