Canadian government records censored with Scotch tape, paper

No doubt because the step was covered with paper and scotch tape.

6 Likes

The rooms are known as secure compartmentalized information facilities, or SKIFs.

Iā€™m not doubting the story overall, but it troubles me that the author can write out Secure Compartmentalized Information Facility and then proceed to initialize it with a ā€œKā€ multiple times.

3 Likes

Lest we forget.

2 Likes

There are any number of old regulations that specify that requests be submitted ā€œOn official letterhead,ā€ as if that implied any level of authentication in this day and age.

Actually, my guess is that the workflow went something like thisā€¦
Low Level Flunky copies the document gives it to the Document Reviewer and puts the origial back in storageā€¦ DR scans through the document and applies paper. DR give the document to LLF and says that ā€œiā€™m done reviewing this.ā€ He means that heā€™s finished the actual thinking part of the process, after all operating a xerox machine is a job for LLF. But what LLF understands that to mean is "this is ready to ship.

Iā€™ve been using ā€œKā€ as an abbreviation for ā€œconstantā€ for so many years that it genuinely surprises me when I do it while teaching and my students call me on it.

Weā€™re adorable!

Please do not remove this Post-It.

5 Likes

Waitā€¦ Ramsey?

I think itā€™s more likely someone elided the originals, made careful xeroxes, and then accidentally mailed the wrong pile

1 Like

The US did the equivalent with electronic documents for a while until there was a published guideline and widespread trainingā€¦

1 Like

The guidelines are still left to interpretation. You can get a lot of info by comparing a single document redacted by 2 different people.

1 Like

On the up side, the next time someone redacts a PDF by putting an opaque box over text, weā€™ll have a great simile to explain why that doesnā€™t work

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.