The strangest FOIA redactions (and FOIA releases) MuckRock has seen over the years

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/10/redacted.html

2 Likes

87aefcbcd270cfbd555805a9ec86a70f

7 Likes

Well that’s just redacted!

8 Likes

Some would even call it ■■■■■.

7 Likes

They had to be careful with those Scientologists!

5 Likes

I’m glad to see our best and brightest are staunchly protecting the privacy of fictional characters and wildlife.

3 Likes

A common glitch. If mоist is redacted you’ve filled out the form wrong; the section with the check boxes is pretzel logic if you ask me.

2 Likes

“… the FBI’s Legate…” Blimey, the America really is reverting in to the Roman Empire.

3 Likes

There’s some people will say that these things show some vast conspiracy to hide the truth, and maybe sometimes it is, but honestly, I think most of this is just people bad at their jobs.

2 Likes
7 Likes

I don’t want to quibble (heck, who am I kidding of course I do) but…

Do we really want the FBI handing out Superman’s secret identity? I mean imagine if that got out.

I am a little disappointed that they didn’t take action against Scientology for endangering the US public by putting that information out there.

Seriously though:

The Pentagon 660million USD response was the legislation working as designed. Is the information available in some form of easily searchable record? Apparently, no.

Sending an email to the person charged with looking after these devices and getting them to count them is not a record.

It is of course a helpful and practical way of finding out the information in order to be able to answer the question but that is not what the Act was for…

Someone in the Pentagon is getting called in to see someone very much like this guy:

1 Like

And Flipper thanked them.

1 Like

To be fair to the Seattle Mayor’s office, they did comply and sent the texts. While continuing to get taxpayer value out of that flatbed scanner purchased in 1995.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.