Capitalizing On Uncertain Times, Costco Is Selling A Year's Worth Of Canned Foods For Survivalists

No, it means the end of the world as you knew it, which does not presuppose anything about availability of food. Nor is there reason to suppose that any person’s apocalypse affects anybody else. It’s like “disillusionment” - a completely personal matter.

Perhaps CostCo has been fulfilling our need to prepare for the apocalypse all along. All things GIANT can be purchased there and in bulk. You’ll never run out! Frisbee sized hamburgers, multipacks of hotdogs that when placed end to end would encompass the planet, bag of socks that would could keep the World’s penguin population warm, etc. CostCo marketing a survival kit for is not a stretch for a company already in help-you-survive mode.

1 Like

Just a note to say, in case anyone may not realize, that #10 can means Number 10 can (rather than ten-pound can). It’s a standard food-service size. It’s 6 and 3⁄16 inches diameter x 7 inches high.

Steel and tin cans - Wikipedia “…size 10 cans, most widely used by food services selling to cafeterias and restaurants, have twenty-five servings totalling 13 cups with an estimated weight of 103½ ounces (size of a roughly 3 pound coffee can).”

For an example, for the brand that Costco is offering, the #10 can of black beans is 4.66 pounds net weight.

I cooked at a summer camp through my college years, and some of the food ingredients came in #10 cans. We didn’t always order full cases, so when the delivery truck came, we had to take the cans one by one into the storage room. We would always see who could carry the #10 cans with just one hand, by spreading the hand across the top of the can and grasping with the fingertips. I could then…not sure if my hands would be strong enough now.

8 Likes

So the Premium Kit is ALLOT of food:

Product Details
600 Total #10 (gallon) Cans
12 month 4 person / 6 month 8 person / 3 month 16 person variations of use
Over 36,000 Total Servings
Up to 25 year Shelf Life for Freeze-dried Foods
2,000 Calories per Day per Person Avg.
Diverse assortment of Grains, Fruits, Vegetables, Proteins and Basics
Enjoy the comfort in knowing you have the essential foods your family will need to survive an emergency or natural disaster!
Packaged discreetly for privacy in shipping

Nutristore™ Foods Included:
(72) Hard White Wheat (30 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
(72) White Rice (30 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
(72) Elbow Macaroni Pasta (25 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
(72) Instant Rotini Pasta (25 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
(42) Instant Pinto Bean Flakes (30 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA/Canada)
(36) Instant Black Beans (30 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA/Canada)
(36) Instant Lentils (30 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA/Canada)
(36) Instant Milk (25 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
(36) Dehydrated Potatoes (25 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
(16) Beef TVP (10 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
(16) Chicken TVP (10 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
(12) Freeze-dried Corn (25 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
(8) Freeze-dried Broccoli (25 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA/Mexico)
(8) Freeze-dried Green Beans (25 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA/New Zealand)
(8) Dehydrated Apples (25 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
(8) Butter Powder (5 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
(8) White Sugar (30 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
(8) Brown Sugar (10 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
(6) Dehydrated Carrots (10 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA/Poland)
(6) Freeze-dried Bananas (25 year shelf life / Country of Origin: Ecuador)
(6) Freeze-dried Raspberries (25 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA/Chile/Serbia)
(6) Freeze-dried Strawberries (25 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA/Mexico)
(4) Freeze-dried Onions (25 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA/India)
(2) Chicken Bouillon (5 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
(2) Shortening Powder (3 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)
(2) Iodized Salt (30 year shelf life / Country of Origin: USA)

1 Like

Holey buckets!! …er…cans.

They don’t hold a full gallon, though, so that seems misleading I think.

2 Likes

It’ll bend in well with the cases of sex toys.

2 Likes

I just noticed how the stacked cans suggest a fortress.

2 Likes

Somebody might be a addicted to uncertainty. It might be me!

I dunno about “capitalizing on uncertain times” here. AFAIK Costco and other vendors have long sold bulk emergency food.

Personally I recently finally managed to score some kosher MREs for my earthquake box. Unfortunately I could only get 8 meal packs but between that and some kosher certified concentrated energy bars, my wife and I will have food for almost a week if “the big one” hits our part of Tokyo that bad.

1 Like

#10 cans? Shit will rot before you can eat it after it’s opened. Needs to be in 20oz cans or smaller so you don’t waste it!

It’s easier to imagine the end of the world than to imagine the hard work of bringing about a new world.

https://www.amazon.com/First-Tragedy-Farce-Slavoj-Zizek/dp/1844674282

3 Likes

Freeze-dried should last for a while after it’s been opened, but I think their product is mislabeled. It’s not really a one person kit because it depends on multiple people working on each can after they’ve been unsealed.

Imagine: Survive fallout, zombies, solar flare, commie invasion, total collapse of society. Die of spoiled food. Oh the embarrassment!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.