Captain America, then and now

[Permalink]

1 Like

The greatest thing about the old Cap theme is the fact that someone managed to rhyme ā€œduelā€ with ā€œblueā€™ll.ā€

3 Likes

Jump to 1:18

3 Likes

This seems like a good place to post this Avengers: Then and Now image I saw the other day:

Edit: too big to post here, original (well, one of the original) source here

2 Likes

The images came from this trailer for the little-known 1978 made-for-TV Avengers movie:

Amazing what people recorded on their $800 VCRs back in the day.

2 Likes

OMG. I must watch that movie.

Edit: DAMN, itā€™s a fake. Thatā€™s a shame. http://io9.com/5904703/what-if-the-avengers-came-out-in-1978

Ahem: weak.

Alan Alda as the wrong ā€œHawkeyeā€ didnā€™t tip you off? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Well, I saw that in the gif and figured ā€œOk, theyā€™re just messing around for some of theseā€ - then the trailer fooled me, briefly (until I watched it all the way through, I posted before finishing watching it). If I ever get a time machine, though, Iā€™m going back in time to make sure that movie gets made.

1 Like

Let alone the ā€˜Thorā€™ they used is from a 1980s Hulk tv movie and NOT from the 70s.

1 Like

Does anyone know who composed and/or performed the theme tunes for the Marvel cartoons? Theyā€™re darned good examples of ā€œadvertising jinglesā€ of the time, as evinced by the fact that many of us can still sing our favorites from memory many decades later.

Most of them were a single verse, as in this example or the Mighty Thor theme, but the verse/chorus/verse/tag of Spiderman was part of the same family.

Iā€™ve always assumed that the performances were some studioā€™s session musicians, which may mean that the writing was also an uncredited effort. But someone must know who to applaud and/or razzā€¦

1 Like

4 Likes

From the How It Should Have Ended - Super Cafe supercut: [spoilers for all sorts of superhero movies]

(Feh. Start at about 7:15.)

Sadly fakeā€¦ But camp icons Peter Wyngarde (here playing Jason King who was the basis of X-Men baddy Mastermind) as Tony Stark & Peter Lynde as Loki were pretty inspired choices. Iā€™d love Marvel to up the camp in their movies / comics / TV programmes - they are also so serious.

The Iron Man, in case anyone cared, is Exo-Man (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076008/). A TV movie or failed pilot (whichever you prefer) that I think Iā€™ve seen more times then I care to admit on a public forum.

You know not whereof you speak. I have one of these, and it still works: hours of gameplay - it gets faster every round - with disks, light cycles, and MCP boss battles, all packed into a cleverly designed 2"x3" 3-color LCD segment display behind a Fresnel lens. It is the pinnacle of early 80s LCD gaming technology and itā€™s awesome.

1 Like

Hawkeye :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.