Captain Kirk's original phaser and communicator on the auction block

I mean if I had hundred-millionaire type money, the sky would be the limit. My brain would just go into MUST HAVE mode.

3 Likes

If I remember my Star Trek lore correctly the pistol grip provided more power/range/accuracy to the pocket size version.

5 Likes

The Space:1999 gun is so much cooler.

1 Like

if I could only own one sci-fi laser pistol I would have to go with the Greedoslayer 9000:

4 Likes

common everyday objects when they want you to build a spaceship but don’t give you the budget for it.

1 Like

Screen Shot 2024-07-17 at 07.18.04

3 Likes

No “stun” setting, though…

1 Like

In the Star Wars franchise, I spotted a lady’s disposable shaver used for Qui-Gon Jin’s communicator. Dr. McCoy’s venerable Feinbergers were salt shakers. Amazing what you can do with glue and silver spray paint.

4 Likes

Just to weigh in on the speculation above … the communicator is a good bit bigger in size than the Type 1 hand phaser (the little shaver phaser). They’re not related, either in size, design, function, or build materials. Set designer Matt Jeffries designed and built the original phaser props. Freelance prop designer Wah Ming Chang (who also designed the tricorders and many other props and aliens) designed and built the original communicators – the body made from a pencil case, as stated by Jorpho above. There were several props of all the equipment built, all hand-made, and all different. Some were “hero” props that were used in close-up and had some degree of functionality (the end of the phaser lit up when fired so the effects people knew when to add the “beam,” and the hero communicators had a stopwatch built into them that operated the spinning moiré pattern you sometimes saw in close-up. There were a variety of “stunt” props as well that weren’t as detailed and could be thrown around in action scenes.

Nerd xkot out.

5 Likes

Greeblies, little bits of stuff with some paint and spackle, are cool ti figure out. Ice cube trays can be seen in a lot of sci-fi movies like Aliens.

The original Star Wars guns were mostly from WWII in the prop dept with stuff added to them. The lightsabers were tubes of old timey flash units.

2 Likes

Or none! I died when Mel Gibson used my same model Novation Launchpad MIDI controller to launch a missile in Machete Kills, and I spotted another bit of music gear I have (I don’t remember now what it was) pretending to be a computer in the TVA in Loki season one. I’ve definitely spotted the same rack of old samplers and effects units in the background of several shows over the years.

ETA - It was a Korg Volca Keys in Loki

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.