Recommendations for Holiday Gifts for 2022

Here is a thread for recommending holiday gifts to others, or asking for recommendations from others!

I’ll start… for the Trekkie in your life, I’m currently reading this and am enjoying it:

13 Likes

A friend asked for this. And it does look pretty great!

10 Likes

Was considering this for Trekkies, too :wine_glass::

8 Likes
  • If there’s something they use a lot, but they only have the basic model, get them a higher quality version.
  • Food is always a good idea.
  • Socks. No, really. Not cheap ones: nice ones. Maybe SmartWool, or something like that.
17 Likes

I do like the socks from Duluth Trading Co.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/s/DTC/mens-all-season-performance-boot-socks-39102.html?color=FTG

8 Likes

That looks like an excellent stocking stuffer! My wife will thank you greatly.

7 Likes

I wonder if those alpaca ones are extra nice?

(And if there’s a reliably genuine and good brand.)

8 Likes

I got one a month or so ago. I do sleep better for sure! :+1:

(No idea if the woo-ish claims are true.)

10 Likes

A fitting article:

I love this part:

Cerulo offered the following three-point framework for thinking about gift-giving: “Can I introduce someone to something they might not otherwise know about? Can I get them a nicer version of something than they would buy for themselves? Or can I make them feel seen?” If you can check one of those three boxes, you’ve probably got a good present on your hands.

13 Likes

Anyone here tried these?

I have a friend who’s pretty much ALWAYS cold.

4 Likes

Years ago a friend gave me the following, which made me joke at the time that she was poking fun of our age difference, but I’ve found it incredibly helpful because yes, one gets cold but doesn’t want to push the thermostat.

Apparently the company (Janska) has gone out of business, but imagine this except wider to cover the shoulders and upper arms, and with a shawl collar. It’s like a cross between a wide scarf and a shawl, with a pocket for reading glasses as well as 2 pockets for hands/phone/etc.

7 Likes

Hmm!

Looks like a modified scarf with pockets. Nothing on the back? I’m not seeing how that’s actually all that much good for warming. :confused:

5 Likes

The one I was given covers the shoulders and upper arms, which means it hangs down in the back over the shoulder blades as well.

Some people do better wearing a vest to keep warm; some people do better with covering their extremities. I could probably be comfortable inside in the winter with only a pair of undies and a bra if my feet, shoulders, and arms were properly covered in warm cozy materials. In fact, a hat would be more helpful to me than covering my torso!

8 Likes

Interesting ideas from Techno Claus:

Only one, the LED car sign, seemed like a potential problem. :santa:t4:

5 Likes

Yeah if you have to use your phone to send your message that wouldnt be awfully safe.

5 Likes

I was thinking more about the dangers of what I’d like to say sometimes while driving… :imp:

Angry Road Rage GIF by John Crist Comedy

4 Likes

My wife is hard to buy for at Christmas because during the year if she mentions something I immediately get it for her or make it for her or write it down for a Christmas gift but I can either not read my notes or can’t find them.

These things popped up in one of my feeds so I ordered some, they said arrive by Christmas but I just got the shipping confirmation, they are currently in Austria. Cool, but they may not show up in time.

They’re solar powered, I think they will look nice in her 10 gallon grow bags.

I normally don’t buy from websites that show up in my feeds but these looked too cool to pass up and I wasn’t risking a lot of cash.

https://www.appehinglaus.com/products/swaying

This was supposed to be animated showing how they sway with the wind.

lights

13 Likes

Ooooh, shiny pretties!

ezgif-3-de4d939ee8

9 Likes

Any sleeping pillow recs?

(And of course, anyone who suggests My Pillow products goes straight to Infinite Torture Town. :smiling_imp:)

7 Likes

I’ve found that I like the latex pillows. But not the shredded filling kind. The give better support for me.

7 Likes