Cards Against Humanity asks Hannukah backers whether to destroy a Picasso

kill the animals

I don’t know, i’m an artist myself and i have an attachment to even my shittiest of sketches. I would be upset to find out someone tore up something of mine, though if Picasso were alive today he might not care. Maybe he would. I would never know but i certainly dislike the idea of someone destroying anyone’s art as a stunt if the original art wasn’t created for said purposes.

In this case, wouldn’t it count more as a transformation to another piece of art (the individual pieces, plus the performance art involved) than a plain destruction?

3 Likes

As much as I dislike CAH, what they are doing is art as well. The fact that it has rustled your jimmies so much shows how effective it is already.

8 Likes

I wrote a couple of paragraphs of defense of CAH’s philanthropy before I detected the irony in “worst people ever.” Well done.

2 Likes

I can certainly understand that sentiment, being a person who often makes stuff as well. Having said that once you’re dead whatever opinions you may have had cease to matter, completely. If the thought of some one “misusing” or destroying your work causes you too much strife you’d be best off keeping that work completely to yourself, as those 2 things aren’t a possibility so much as they are an inevitability.

I’m reminded of the concern trolls that pop up every time a piece of sculpture that uses books is posted. Ineffectually wringing their hands in condescending disapproval of the “loss” of “literature” as though the act of printing any given set of words on a page then sandwiching them between two covers automatically imbues a book with some magic, irreplaceable significance.

So too in this case. We have an off hand doodle signed by an incredibly prolific artist (Who may not have even doodled it himself, may not even have signed it himself) well known for handing out exactly such offhand doodles like they where candy. The world will be no poorer for the lack of this piece, and those expressing their disdain would not even be aware of it’s existence in the first place had it not been for this stunt.

If Picasso wasn’t 40 years dead, he might be grateful for your concern. As it stands he literally can’t be. And further, the folks at CAH could have a yearly “Picasso’s table scraps” barbecue sacrificing dozens of similar pieces without making a single dent into anything that the man himself actually produced that holds any significance what so ever.

1 Like

10 Likes

well said. my feelings exactly.

Maybe. But it isn’t original, nor does its ability to “rustle” me prove much on that front. I suppose I’m more the fool for allowing any emotional engagement in the question. Still, destroying any work or art without the orginal artist’s consent is entering into territory that I won’t endorse.

Like I said - no doubt I’ll be “punked” in such a matter as to reinforce how caring about this was dumb. I’ll take my lumps.

Doesn’t death count as an implicit consent? If the artist disagrees, he’s free to raise objection.

3 Likes

Well… it is transformative.

Roy Lichtenstein was often criticized for simply reproducing comic panels at a larger size. A lot of people thought that wasn’t original either, but now the work is pretty valuable. Warhol’s ideas of art were often scoffed at as well.

That said, I can’t see these scraps of the Picasso ever being worth more than the original work. Sometimes we are a little too precious about art. I’m okay with the CAH guys doing this. The ISIS guys destroying stuff bothers me a little more.

4 Likes

I remember reading a story about Picasso destroying his own work, with a palette knife, cutting up his works, right before a gallery showing, declaring he wasn’t satisfied with them.

I can’t however find any evidence from this memory using Google, so I can’t be sure it’s a true story or it actually concerned Picasso.

What I wanted to say, backed by evidence, is that perhaps the artist himself did not value his work a highly as we do now.

I think it is a fun question, it’s perhaps a bit decadent to play games with stuff that is worth this much money but when I look at the other responses in this thread I’m not sure this work should be worth that much in the first place.

When you as a artist sell a work, it is no longer your place to object to anything the buyer does with it. Sure, destroying a work is a bit of a dick move, but I don’t really see any real damage being done here, like others said, there are plenty more picasso’s, and the creator is no longer around. When you sell a thing you let go of your rights to decide what happens to it, if you don’t agree to that increase the price until you do, or include a clause giving you viewing rights.

When the most hated man on the internet decides to never listen to his Wu-tang cd and destroy it, that would be a dick move. I would not care much about it, I’m no wu-tang-fan, but I can see how someone could get really pissed about never getting to hear those songs. Could you blame Martin Shkreli for that? Sure, is it partly also Wu-tang’s fault for the way they released and sold the cd? Definitely.

This is the risk you take when you create something that is one-of-a-kind, when there is only one copy of something, that makes it extra special but also makes it vulnerable to “deletion”. Hopefully the Wu-tang secretly kept some digital copies, and for the picasso, we will always have the photo’s and most likely even a timelapse-video of it being cut up.

3 Likes

I think the stakes involved here are affected pretty strongly by the fact (not noted here, but one I’ve seen elsewhere) that what they’ve got is not a one-of-a-kind item, but one of a set of 50 prints made from the original.

5 Likes

According to the law, this is not true. Art is different than other mass produced goods, and artists have special rights defined in the law. The Visual Artists Rights Act was created to prevent this sort of thing, assuming that the artist or copyright holder wants to prevent it. I have no idea who might have the standing to stop CAH in this case, but you can’t simply (legally) destroy any work of art you purchase.

http://artlawjournal.com/can-stop-buyer-destroying-artwork/

2 Likes

That’s really interesting! It makes sense when you read the other rules like proper attribution, you can’t go around buying art and putting your own name on it, that makes sense, and you can’t change a work to make it seem like the original artist made a lousy work. I get all that, It’s not that big a leap to also including destruction of a work. Interesting idea and good law :smile:

The wikipedia article seems to have had a formatting error but it seems like it should say:

[Right’]s granted under VARA persist for the life of the author

So I guess this law does not apply in this case.

1 Like

7 Likes

Picasso is dead. Any rights he had died with him.

1 Like

Thank you, I came here to post this.

That said, the law has no effect on the work of dead artists. And I guess that makes sense – it’s a bit much to expect humanity to hold every single piece of art ever created as holy relics till the end of time.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.