Cargo chip that blocked Suez Canal finally arrives at destination, months late

Originally published at: Cargo chip that blocked Suez Canal finally arrives at destination, months late | Boing Boing

5 Likes

“Anaerobic digestion” Does that mean they are going to compost it?

6 Likes

That’s when you sleep off a meal rather than do exercise

9 Likes

Yes- either that or produce biogas from it.

4 Likes

Slap some Ever Given memes on the goods remaining, sell it at a premium, profit!

6 Likes

man, the stink when some of those cans are opened is going to be unbelievable.

3 Likes

Today I Learned:

7 Likes

It was a local sightseeing sight. People brought deckchairs and binoculars!

1 Like

No, composting is aerobic.

4 Likes

blame…. in my gormless far-away petty state, i still want to know “who dun it!?” Was it indeed the wind? i know it wasn’t the female captain scapegoat who was no where near the ship when it went aground. Russian hackers in the GPS autopilot? Were any suspects Moses attired with a staff glimpsed along the embankment? blame ("…or it didn’t happen")

It is not everyday you can see a chip @beschizza that could block a canal, think of the vinegar needed.

12 Likes

I’ve been tracking Ever Given at Vessel Finder EVER GIVEN Current position (Container Ship, IMO 9811000) - VesselFinder

2 Likes

Maybe if you stacked enough of them together, like a beaver dam.

Of course, it might work better if you used US-style chips (which are not french fries) like Pringle’s. They interlock!

5 Likes

10 Likes

Oh yikes, I didn’t realize it was going to the UK, nor that it had food in it. Given the supply issues - particularly with food distribution - the UK is having right now, a cargo ship carries enough to actually make a difference. Guess those store shelves are going to be staying bare…

The canal provides pilots to take control of the ship and guide it through. Captains can theoretically over-ride them, as they are captains, but it’s not done. In this case, there were high winds, and, reading the latest about it, the pilots were being really aggressive with speed to overcome that, which was creating its own control issues, to the point where the ship’s crew was alarmed. They were raising objections and about to take back control - and then the ship crashed.

6 Likes

At last - the great British garden gnome shortage is over! They’ll be celebrating in the streets tonight:

14 Likes

…while still in the shipping containers, as they baked in the hot sun. I hope the folks tasked with cleaning that mess up are in full hazmat gear.

4 Likes

Maybe that’s why the good burghers of Felixstowe came out to gawp - they were expecting chips.

Looking at them, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 17.59.15

1 Like

6 Likes

that is one sloppy-ass game of jenga

5 Likes