Gigantic container ship blocks Suez Canal, creating an enormous queue

Originally published at: Gigantic container ship blocks Suez Canal, creating an enormous queue | Boing Boing

5 Likes

“You had one job! One. Job!”

18 Likes

Say god bye to your Masters/Mates/Pilots license.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Organization_of_Masters

16 Likes

this just screams as a set-up for a trig problem (or i’ve been grading too many math papers);

The Suez Canal is blocked by a 400-m container ship that somehow got stuck in the 210m-wide channel sideways.

(let’see… remaining side is about 340.44 meters, arcsine(opp/hyp) is about 0.6435 or 36.9 degrees… )

9 Likes

The news about the situation were conflicting. At one point they were blaming the strong winds but they did also mention that the ship had a blackout before it got stuck. Maybe both are true? They might have lost the power and tried operating the ship in a “manual way” but couldn’t handle this due to the strong winds?

2 Likes

20,000 shipping containers is a lot of stuff.

There’s not just the knockdown effect on the items on that ship, but all the other ships that can’t use the canal, and all the ports waiting to load and unload containers.

People might not care now, but they might care when there’s no fridges in stock at their local mega mart, or their sneaker order takes weeks longer to reach them.

5 Likes

They should simply hire some Jawas for the clean up job.

6 Likes
13 Likes

Community thread, for continuity: The Suez Canal is Blocked

1 Like

Ok, and?

Can you fill in what this means?

1 Like

It’s the path the ship took right before entering the canal.

3 Likes

Did you mean: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Organization_of_Masters,Mates%26_Pilots

2 Likes

you’re simplifying your model, perhaps too much. you calculation assumes that the container ship is a line 400 meters long but it is instead a rectangle 400 m x 50 m which, i calculate make the hypotenuse of the ship to be around 403 meters and puts the angle of repose on one side being 58.6 degrees and 31.4 degrees on the other. this is still a simplification because the ship is a little rounded on the ends but a rectangle probably gives a better estimate than a line.

7 Likes

That’s clear. What’s not clear is why this is important. Knowing nothing about naval navigation, I can’t judge if that is outlandish, or perhaps unusual but reasonable behavior based on circumstances I can’t imagine. It seems that you think it is important in some way, so I would love to know what you are thinking.

1 Like

It’s like a beached whale corpse. Sheriff, get the dynamite.

8 Likes

Let us assume it to be a perfect sphere…

9 Likes

I’m sure it’s just me, but …

11 Likes

evergreen

22 Likes

If anybody wants to watch live … well, sort of

6 Likes

“I bet I can drift right through this canal!”

8 Likes