Gigantic container ship blocks Suez Canal, creating an enormous queue

Found this satellite view of the blockage.

3 Likes

I think that it will take more than a plunger to clear that blockage.

3 Likes

According to things I glanced at on the Internet and neither scrutinized nor vetted, this happened as a result of a sandstorm combined with an onboard power outage.

2 Likes

At a guess?

A steady increase in number and size of ships using the canal coupled with chronic underinvestment in infrastructure for both the canal and the ship operators resulting in continually tighter operating bounds to keep everything running such that a combination of slightly weird events lead to a complete failure and demonstrating the fragility of systems driven for extreme efficiency?

Did I get it? What did I win?

7 Likes

Aha. I guess I’m just not prurient enough. I just saw a big mess of weirdness.

2 Likes

Just kedge the damn thing! It worked in one of the Hornblower novels (i want to say Lieutenant Hornblower). The tens of thousands of difference in tonnage may be an issue though.

2 Likes

Have the crew run from port to starboard and back to shake it loose.

12 Likes

Or fire a broadside to port! That usually helps shift it a bit.

7 Likes

There is nothing like a wedgie in your canal!

3 Likes

20,000 containers, a crew of maybe 30 at most. Not sure it will rock much. If so it would be a terrifying ship to be on, given it’s extreme propensity to capsize.

The main rule of all nautical stuff is to maintain everything so at most only one thing goes wrong at a time. Any single failure can usually be dealt with. This looks like at least 2 failures at once, perhaps combined with some human error.

I imagine control of the ship was in the hands of a local pilot for the canal, so that guy is out of a job unless there are some very significant extenuating circumstances that he can explain away.

1 Like

Is the ship named Evergreen or Ever Given??

1 Like

Ever Given. It’s owned by Evergreen Marine.

9 Likes

6 Likes

They’ve gone one better, and hired the Dutch.

(Specifically, Smit Salvage, whose previous jobs include the Kursk and the Costa Concordia.)

1 Like

Well, maybe if they lean a bit more over the edge on the starboard side as the captain at the helm gives more port shift on the rudder and employs the bow thruster’s…

Oh, that’s right… I don’t know what I’m talking about :grinning:

3 Likes

3 Likes

Thread:

7 Likes

13 Likes

I wonder how long it would take a single excavator to dig this thing out on its own.

6 Likes

Definitely more than a couple days. :wink:

3 Likes