Gigantic container ship blocks Suez Canal, creating an enormous queue

Let’s hope the excavator operator remembered to take precautions.

5 Likes

I wonder how many containers a fleet of heavy-lift cargo helicopters could pull off the ship in a day, and whether or not that would amount to anything more than a small rounding error on the ship’s draft. I’m sure it would be less effective than some of the other efforts already underway but every little bit helps, right?

8 Likes

Nh, just put the bucket againt the bow and puuuuush.

6 Likes

So we just need a really, really big lever…

5 Likes

when I saw that photo that is def the first thing I imagined happening

2 Likes

Or connect a rope and find a mule named Sal.

4 Likes

Self-referential meme ahoy!

7 Likes

How do we know that’s NOT Letsdig18 in that Suez excavator?

2 Likes
1 Like

I’m assuming that “intact” is the easiest way to remove something that massive(and only buoyant so long as you don’t poke it too much); but does anyone know, in principle, what the rules are when your boat is clogging someone else’s rather valuable canal and everyone else whose schedule involved passing through it?

Is it rare enough that you just hope it doesn’t come up and it’s covered in an obscure corner of some sort of nautical insurance? Is there a defined schedule of fees per unit time? If the canal operator determined that removing the boat in pieces was the most efficient option could they force the issue at some point?

And a good playlist of sea shanties.

4 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.