Stuck Suez ship sets sail

Originally published at: Stuck Suez ship sets sail | Boing Boing

14 Likes

Competing websites!

Vs.

18 Likes
18 Likes

I wonder how much this cost the Suez Canal Authority and the ship operators waiting on the Ever Given, and whether the Egyptian government or the container ship’s owner, Shoei Kisen Kaisha will be on the hook for damages. Does insurance cover canal blockage?

15 Likes

If the ship’s operator doesn’t pay up, I have a feeling that they’ll have to take the long way (as in, around Africa) next time.

5 Likes

At the beginning of the canal, Egyptian adds their own canal pilot and crew to every ship. They are responsible for piloting thru the canal. Whoops.

14 Likes

And here’s why it was almost inevitable that the Suez Canal would get blocked like this sooner or later.

12 Likes

It’s only a quarter of the length of an Imperial Star Destroyer, a mere 400m. It’s not that big!

13 Likes

Yeah, granted, but an Imperial Star Destroyer can get from China to Europe as the crow flies.

8 Likes

To say nothing of the girth.

6 Likes
7 Likes

Regardless of whether this one ship can move yet, can any other smaller ships move through past it?

3 Likes

29 Likes

I keep looking for reporting on canal dredging and maintenance. From the pictures, it barely looks like there’s enough space for one ship in that section of the canal between sandbanks on the sides. I mean, the canal itself barely looks wide enough for another ship to pass this one headed the opposite way. Reducing that even farther to a center only channel seems very limiting. Do they only run one way at a time in that section?

5 Likes

As a falcon flies surely.

5 Likes

Ships never pass in opposite directions in the same lane.

17 Likes

I think it’s time to call in an expert. /s

25 Likes

Only the middle of the canal is deep enough for ships. It’s not like small urban canals with walls that we may be familiar with; the sides are just sand and the slope is very gradual

8 Likes

At least the front didn’t fall off.

16 Likes

Oh Boy, my thoughts and prayers arrived just in time.

6 Likes