Carp Diem - Learning to Fish

we call 'em mahi-mahi here, too. also known as “dolphin fish”.
and confirm dorado in Mexico is same.
great fighting fish that is delicious!

4 Likes

Looks like this is a catch-and-cook weekend for me. Today I fished in the morning with my buddy, and he put me on to this nice walleye:

Perfect eating size, ~2.5 lbs. I filleted it up and had the cheeks and collar for lunch. Pan fried in butter with leftover fried rice.

9 Likes

Architect fishing = ‘angling anglers’. :triangular_ruler: :fishing_pole_and_fish:

1 Like

…and then as beer-battered fish and chips. Instead of chips, I battered up some onions. I wanted to call them “rings” but they were more like wedges. So my son suggested “onion beignets.” :smiley:

11 Likes

Oh nice! Were you fishing the Columbia for those?

I managed a very little bit of fishing on the weekend, but the wind sucked the fun right out of it. The heat is making it really hard to target the trout here. The rivers are all closed and there are just too many forest fires (250ish) to make going into the backcountry safe.

4 Likes

Columbia tributary. There are bigger fish around, but that’s about perfect eater size.

Sorry to hear that the conditions are keeping you off the water! That was last year for me, and the subsequent road closures from the fires are still in effect and keeping me away from some of my favorite waters.

2 Likes

The perfect size, eh? Around 18"? The walleye is almost the family fish, my folks used to run a walleye lodge (and they’re currently trying to buy one). I love’em, but driving all the way out to the columbia to get them isn’t easy.

I’m hoping these cooler temps stick around so I can hit some lakes. I’ll take what I can get right now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I didn’t measure length, but by my finely honed trout size approximation, I’d say 22”.

2 Likes

I always forgot that it’s not necessary to measure the fish out here. I’m used to super strict limits on size for walleye to point where you can only keep fish between 16" and 21" with a limit of two (back in Ontario). The section of the Columbia that has them up here as a 1 fish limit.

Dang. Now I want to catch walleye :smiley:

3 Likes

Out here, they are a smolt-eating invasive species, so there’s no limit on size or number. Fisheries managers want them gone.

1 Like

It’s the same here. The limit is 16, not 1 like I wrote above. It’s a great fishery in Castlegar on the Columbia. For a while, fishing for them could result in a pike, walleye, trout, white fish, or sturgeon. I think the pike are mostly gone at this point.

1 Like

We definitely cross our fingers not to hook a sturgeon. That pretty much guarantees losing one’s gear. Most of the white sturgeon in this area are 6 to 12 feet long.

2 Likes

I haven’t lost anything. But I have broken a reel and my buddy threw out his back because of them.

2 Likes

This is only tangentially related, but me and the Mr. are heading to one our favorite annual camping spots next weekend. It’s on a coastal plain with clamming opportunities right from the campsite, but I’ve never clammed before. I’d love to give it a go this year. Any tips?
I have done some basic internet research, but I find, like with fishing, there’s a ton of info but it’s hard to tell who actually knows what they’re talking about…I trust you lot more.

4 Likes

I don’t know East Coast clamming, unfortunately. I know West Coast pretty well, but it might be opposite what you should be doing.

What I can say, and this is coming from someone who loves clams: once I’ve cleaned a bucket of clams, I have little desire to eat clams. Of course, clams are best fresh, like most seafood. So if you can find someone else to clean your clams, that’s a good way to go. :wink:

3 Likes

I have nothing to add on the catching fish front. I was just salivating looking at your pictures.

I have fond memories of perch and walleye dinners, and equal parts delightful and horrific memories of going out on Lake Erie in a 18" boat with the first husband and his father to catch them.

ETA: 18’, not 18". But it felt that small whenever a storm came up!

5 Likes

That’s a small boat! But bigger than any fish I’ve caught so far. Lol.

5 Likes

First of all, suitable attire is important.

A few years ago we camped on Haida Gwaii, and as we were wondering how to catch some clams, an older First Nations man took pity on us and showed how it’s done.

Starting at the high tide line, he walked towards the water, planting his feet very heavily with each step. When he reached the water he turned around, and we could see little spouts of water from the annoyed clams along his path. Then he started back, digging into the sand with a narrow-bladed shovel and reaching in to grab each clam before it could pull itself deeper. The sequence went dig, grab, toss, repeat, and he pulled out five or six razor clams with each trip to the water.

Needless to say, our efforts were much less productive, but we managed to get enough razor clams for a chowder.

8 Likes

Awesome! Thanks! I’m really excited to try this.
This place is near the Bay of Fundy, thus the tide goes up and down around 18’ on a regular day, so that’s plenty of territory to scour.

3 Likes

Are you going to be on the New Brunswick side of Fundy or the Maine side? My brother-in-law used to live near there, so he may know a thing or two about clams.

2 Likes