Watch this large carp escape death by fisherman

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/28/watch-this-large-crap-escape-d.html

4 Likes

That made me very happy.

18 Likes

He got his recorded proof. The carp got away.

I’d call that a win-win situation.

25 Likes

Gee, that’s too bad.

3 Likes

amateurs - - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqykDINEcGo

4 Likes

Everybody I’ve been seeing on social media keeps saying carp is catch and release and he wasn’t going to die.

4 Likes

No carpe diem comment yet?

20 Likes

Carpe carpio?

Considering how many dangerously invasive carp we have in various US waterways, that’s not necessarily a good thing…

3 Likes

I am an experienced carp fisherman, and have occasionally taken home carp to eat (mainly curiosity). I mean, you can eat them, and with a bit of work it’s OK. But… not great eating in general. I have a whole derail worth of information on the eating of carp if anyone is interested…

I can safely say that that carp was almost 100% going back into the water unharmed anyways. The contraption he was being put into is a weighing system that avoids hurting the fish. These guys were looking to document their catch.

7 Likes

That species, while invasive, has been in the US over 200 years. In theory they are bad for the environment (they can wreck spawning beds, and outcompete native cyprinids for bottom forage), but as far as I know, nobody has demonstrated any particular major harm. Of course, nobody did ecological impact studies in the 1800’s, which is why a lot of native fish of the US can’t be found in their native range anymore.

6 Likes

Right now there’s specifically an issue with carp expanding their range and encroaching on the Great Lakes, which would be a major disaster, apparently.

1 Like

The one that got away…

Carp is really not that delicious; used to be a traditional dish on christmas eve or new year’s eve in quite a lot of part of Europe though.

Carp is a favored eating fish in China… so I’m told.

Those are Asian carp (and at that, I gather that Grass Carp aren’t much of a threat, mainly Silver and Bighead carp). I am hoping to grill some up this coming weekend, in fact. European carp are already in the great lakes in massive numbers.

4 Likes

Fun fact: There’s now a company that’s harvesting silver and bighead carp from the Illinois river and selling them to high end restaurants in China as “Wild American Carp”.

In Korea they make sushi out of Grass Carp. (Haven’t had it, but the meat looks much prettier than European carp)

/sigh, I knew it would come to this.

Asian carp is much tastier. European carp prepared right tastes like a decent whitefish, but you have to A. Get it from a clean body of water, B. Get it on ice right away, C. Trim off all the red meat.

Even so, European carp were the first fish farmed for food (by the Romans ~2 millenia ago). Allegedly you can tell the heritage of a carp, even now in the US, by how white the meat is, since the Romans bred them to be fatter and whiter meat for better eating. Wild carp are thinner with dark red meat (most I’ve cleaned and eaten have a variable mix of red and white meat).

6 Likes

Thanks for the information.

You seem to be responding to yourself.
Can that be treated?

2 Likes

Did that fish really evolve legs that fast? Science is amazing.

I can safely say that this is almost 100% not true: they hurt the fish with a hook to get him out of the water in the first place! Also, consider that a fish out of the water is agonizing due to not being able to breathe.

It is really sad if humans hurt animals just for fun.

2 Likes

You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey’s uh, carp-kabobs, carp creole, carp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There’s pineapple carp, lemon carp, coconut carp, pepper carp, carp soup, carp stew, carp salad, carp and potatoes, carp burger, carp sandwich. That- that’s about it.

10 Likes

Well, that’s a given I suppose. Very minor, both in recovery time and the pain they feel. Much bigger is the panic from being out of the water.

Carp (100% sure about crucian carp, not sure about European) can live in environments with no oxygen. And in fact all carp are well suited at minimum for very low oxygen environments. He’s not going to be any worse for the wear from a few minutes out of water, unlike most predator fish (which are deceptively fragile for how fearsome they can look).

In conclusion, carp are extremely hearty, rugged fish. This one will be back at 100% likely within 24 hours.

7 Likes