Watch this large carp escape death by fisherman

We don’t think so, no.

11 Likes

Traditional Polish Christmas Eve dinner, IIRC.

2 Likes

Carp was also popular as Christmas dinner in Czechia. As a kid, in the 60s I recall eating it as fillet breaded and fried but there were always tiny little bones. Often it was brought home live and kept in the bathtub for a time. When we came to Canada, (Manitoba) we used to go fishing and caught carp a few times - and all the local fishermen would turn up their noses at it. (I guess it is understandable, the little bones and sometimes the muddy smell, and yet I understand that the carp in Manitoba was originally introduced by Ukrainian settlers because that’s what they ate at home.

Regarding the fish ponds - the south west Czech Republic (Bohemia) has had many carp fishponds going back to medieval times as it was in some cases the best use of the land but also satisfied the Church rules on eating fish on fridays.

3 Likes

2 Likes

That’s what I do in meetings.

Magikarp, jump!

I find the claim of 100% unharmed unlikely. In a freshwater stream with it’s body slime removed (which the fisher probably removed a good portion of it between his handling the fish, it touching his clothes, etc…), that fish has a probability of contracting Ick once it was back in the water which will be a horrible death.

Based on your response, I don’t think you handle fish much. It’s not so much that you don’t rub any off when handling, but more that they have a lot of slime. Slime which also is excreted anew as needed.

Anyways, I only seem to be able to find scholarly articles about the immunoresponse of farmed fish which are constantly handled. Which makes sense, as the slime is their bacterial defense. I rate your claim: [Citation needed]

1 Like

Good on them!
What is that horrible invasive fish that doesn’t taste very good, but is voracious and can clean out anything it can get in its mouth? They’ve found it in several American rivers and major bodies of water.
eta: Snakeheads. (‘Why did it have to be snakes?’)

2 Likes

What are you carping about?

2 Likes

I live in Minneapolis where some sort of giant invasive carp are threatening everything… I’m not really clear on it to be honest, but, the point of my comment is that I live a few blocks from the Mississippi and sometimes the Somali guys in the neighborhood walk by with carps slung over their shoulder taller then they are. It makes me happy to think of all that protein simultaneously saving us from killer leaping carp and feeding families. Now, if only someone would encourage the neighborhood teenagers to start sling-shotting the bunnies, or something… I think Urban fox should be a thing, something that eats bunnies.

2 Likes

Wrong and missinformed… As much as i would like to agree with you, you clearly are neither basing you theory on either scientific information or even a basic understanding of fish physiognomy… a few things that very easily contradict your points:

1. fishes mouths especially of those like carp and catfish that eat pit fruit and hard shelled mollusks, crabs and crayfish are constantly getting pierced and shredded by their prey and food…
    so your point about pain from hook theory… not so much. (They would have developed a different way of eating and focused on different food sources.)

2. carp specifically spend a lot of time breathing air, (think of koi or gold fish and the amount of time they spend with their heads outside of water) (ps gold fish and koi are specifically inbred carp). It is not trashing because it can’t breathes it’s trashing to free itself from a predator, as you would if a bear caught you.
    The sled used to land the fish is specifically to minimize its stress. Also a carp that size is around 20y old and has been caught a LOT of times). The same can be said for catfish for example who can spend a lot more time out of water in air then most fish, as they can breathe air for short periods of time.
    In short it is NOT trashing gasping for air.

3. without most fisherman most fish you see in your waterways would be gone! The water quality of all river and streams in america even your most remote example has been tainted by humanity. (For example your remote beautiful Colorado springs are full of lead and mercury frommgold and copper prospecring 200y ago)
    (Find and read 20year report of the survey of water quality in America, that was released last december after 20y of research and quickly quashed by industry.)

In fact if you really wanted to help fish you should go buy yourself a fishing license even if you don’t use it as this is currently the only sustained mechanism that provides the money needed to clean up polluted waterways, secure and prevent new polution, clean up and restore habitat for native fish and combat invasive species. There is definitely not wven wnough of that to restore damage we did 200/400y ago let alone the damage comitted by industry/farming and over development of the past 50y.

I understand being shoked by the sight of an animal seemingly suffering at the hand of a human, especially if you anthropomorphise its behavior randomly; but we have long ago transformed our world for the worst as far as animals are concerned,and have to bear the responsibility for this.

If you really care about the plight of fish stop buying junk, avoid plastics and traditional beauty products, DEFINITELY make your town charter require lawnless gardens as well as garden and farming without pesticides and petroleum fertilizers.

These 2 last things are the real reason fish die from lack of oxigen and a lack of food…

The funny thing is that grass carp are specifically introduced to closed bodies of water to control oxygen depleting weeds & algea that grow from the runnoff of lawns and farms…

5 Likes

In Australia, what happened would be bad. Carp are a damn nasty invasive species. It is an offence to throw the carp back, even if you kill it (Just in case it is carrying eggs).
All carp must be killed as humanely as possible (They recommend either a spike to the brain or a solid blow to the back of the fishes head).
Our native fish are in decline and the biggest cause is carp.
So this video made me twitch. I just saw an introduced predator go back into the wild that is going to kill native species that are already endangered.

1 Like

A carp is a fish that will eat anything just as long as that thing is edible.
It will even eat things such as dirt, mud, and trash - and it thinks that these things taste incredible.
A carp is a fish that will eat anything and by now you must know what I mean;
If you ever meet a carp and you take him to your house, make sure that he’s really really clean.

There’s a carp in the tub, there’s a carp in the tub
There’s a carp in the tub and everybody’s dirty
There’s a carp in the tub, there’s a carp in the tub
So nobody’s taking a bath.

Mondays we eat vegetables
Tuesdays we eat meat
Wednesdays we eat chicken soup which really can’t be beat
Thursdays we eat leftovers (it’s daddy’s favorite dish)
Fridays nights we bathe after eating all our fish

5 Likes

Go Japhroaig, be free!!! :cry:

5 Likes

Well isn’t that convenient! This animal (and others as well, I am sure) is build so they can not be harmed by our fun activities!

But seriously, what you are writing are the usual claims from sport fishing enthusiasts, partly based on singular studies, at best based on yet ill understood fish cognition.

For example, pain reaction (stress, avoidance) of fish after a stimulus in their mouth has been clearly shown in scientific studies.

It has been shown, that especially carps avoid hooks after they had the experience shown. Guess, why…

It has been shown that lots of fish do not survive after thrown back.

We did not even touch the issue of stress, fear of death, delicate outer fish skin, bleeding due to pressure drop, etc.

It is for good reasons, that hooking fish just to show off and then throw them back is illegal in a lot of countries.

The golden rule is: leave other animals alone.

Oh, and nothing stops you from fighting pollution even if you do not put hooks through animals for fun.

1 Like

Are you Borat?

2 Likes

I’m sure he’s here SOMEWHERE; we just don’t know yet.

[quote=“HateDisqus, post:36, topic:103730”]
But seriously, what you are writing are the usual claims from sport fishing enthusiasts, partly based on singular studies, at best based on yet ill understood fish cognition.[/quote]

Obviously you haven’t actually read any such studies, which make a clear distinction between nociception, pain, and trauma.

Here is a good starter, with references at the end for further reading:

I’ll stop fishing for trout when they stop killing mayflies for food. THINK OF THE MAYFLIES!

Edits to clean up quoting errors.

1 Like

Good info in that study you linked to. I recently changed my fishing tactics to remove the barbs and went from treble to single circle hooks. While this decreases my chances of landing the fish it makes it a whole lot easier to remove the hook and get the fish back into the water quickly. I got tired of pulling hooks from gills and eyes after aggressive strikes. Still, it’s not uncommon to see a fish go belly up after release so I tend to let them recover in the livewell for a while before putting them back.

The length of time a fish is exposed to air after
being caught is partially determined by the length of
time taken to remove a hook. One study found that
novice anglers required more time to remove hooks than
experienced anglers, and that barbed hooks took longer
to remove.

1 Like