Man keeps grocery story lobster as a pet

Originally published at: Man keeps grocery story lobster as a pet | Boing Boing

8 Likes

He used to keep a ferret as a pet, but that’s a different story. :wink:

2 Likes

Hopefully that will also extend to the practice of literally tearing them apart while they are still alive.

10 Likes

LankyAgileCricket-size_restricted

18 Likes

Simpsons did it His name was Pinchy, and he was delicious.

19 Likes

That video was delightful - just the unicorn chaser I needed.

6 Likes

Don’t, don’t do it.

6 Likes

What is this thing called “grocery story” and where can I get a lobster right now?

7 Likes

lobster-family-guy

9 Likes

I’m thinking of the scene in The Tick where Joan is lobster-sitting for Lobstercules’ babies…

“Jooooooaaaan!”

6 Likes

I keep hearing in my head Steve West of the 91X fame playing Rock Lobster / B52’s. Gosh those were the days. It was released in April of 1978, now that is something…

And: Fred Schneider of The B-52s stopped eating crustaceans at the age of four after going crabbing with his family in New Jersey and watching the crabs get boiled alive.

14 Likes

Also Nerval’s lobster was named “Thibault” and Nerval would take it for walks on a silk leash.

12 Likes

This is still one of the best SNL sketches in recent years…

Just amazing from beginning to end…

20 Likes

Okay, serious question: are there complex organisms that don’t feel pain? I have family that justifies doing catch-and-release fishing as a hobby by saying “fish don’t feel pain,” but I don’t buy it. Surely reacting to negative physical stimuli is something that develops pretty early on evolutionarily.

15 Likes

When I was in 3rd grade the class was assigned to write a story about a pet–real of fictional. I choose to write about a fictional lobster bought at the local Shop-Rite.

In the same era in a nearby town there was a restaurant with a large model of a lobster above its sign. The name of the restaurant…Leon’s.

2 Likes

Tell me the grocery story, Grandpa!

6 Likes

This one’s called Goldilocks and the 3 lobsters…

4 Likes

Serious answer: there is a subtle difference between pain and nociception, the detection of harm. Pain has a psychological element that can, but does not always, coexist with nociception.

Fish have shown nociception with little to no pain. Fish will repeat self-harming behavior if there is an instinctive drive behind the behavior, such as feeding, spawning, or migration.

So your family members are kinda right.

20 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate the explanation.

7 Likes

Are lobsters cuddly? I know humanoids keep non-cuddly critters as ‘pets’ - see my nephew’s stinky fringed iguana - but how much does a ‘pet’ lobster appreciate friendly human interaction? Sure, lounging in a household tank or salt pool is better (for the lobster) than being eaten right away. But now you’ve broken nature’s food chain. Sad.

1 Like