Carriers to FCC: Americans would totally be happy with throttled, capped wireless at home instead of home fiber

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/20/regulatory-capture.html

4 Likes

I was assisting a remote user yesterday at work who was getting internet from a fucking dish attached to his house.

3 Likes

I think I’d take lousy slow wireless at this point, if it meant I got to screw the big cable and telecommunications providers.

7 Likes

Yes, Americans who own interest in big telecommunications companies. You know, the important people.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Are the warrant requirements different for wireless carriers versus ISPs ?

2 Likes

The real people.

2 Likes

How dare the plebs demand what the big carriers have been promising every time you renew your contract with them?

6 Likes

As someone who’s fortunate enough to have fiber service (and relatively shitty fiber service at that), let me retort with a resounding, “fuck that shit.”

5 Likes

Carriers to FCC: Americans would totally be happy with throttled, capped wireless at home instead of home fiber

Ajit Pai to Carriers: Indubitably. Your word is supreme. Add $500k to my annual salary once I leave this post and take a position with one of your companies.

8 Likes

Will someone please hack Ajit Pai and throttle his ass?

10 Likes

Fixed that etc.

6 Likes

Why throttle? If somebody is gonna do such a thing, how about finding the evidence of collusion and corruption that we all know is there?

1 Like

I don’t understand how wireless can be a solution. I live in the SF Bay Area, two blocks from a commuter school that handles 17,000 students, and I haven’t had wireless coverage at home since they wireless carriers turned off the analog networks in 2005.

Wireless (still) isn’t a reliable medium. When you advertise your network as the one with the “fewest dropped calls,” something is wrong with the entire industry. When 5% of all SMS text messages are never delivered, then you’ve got a fundamental problem.

My 768 kbps DSL is more reliable than the (crazy expensive) alleged 100 Mbps service offered by my regional cable monopoly.

Choose one: coverage, speed, or reliability.

3 Likes

Let us know when you find the user getting internet from a gypsy chair and animal traps that are also obsolete suspension devices. (How bad is HughesNet where it is, anyhow? Aren’t all the earth-stationary wireless providers sort of dish when they’re not 20 5G things on a lamp-post?)

Horribles being consistent to a fault, one might have expected shrill pleas to the FCC demanding that more customers host and power ridiculous customer premises equipment in order to satisfy (random need or focus device.) If people really want broadband, they should house our tanks of MDMA and squid…

1 Like

Why, just the other day I was screaming in my own head that age-old American saying: give me limitations and give me death!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.