Carson the opossum has "died," again

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/26/carson-the-opossum-has-died-again.html

6 Likes

I worked at a wildlife rehab at the end of my vet-tech “career.” Opos are really gentle and chill. (That’s “Oh-Poh” short for “Oh-Possums” - people all say “possum” like the “O” is silent but it’s not.) There was one who was unreleasable due to injury so was one of the “ambassador’ animals. She would hang out on my shoulder while I made up the meals. When we had dozens of rescued opos ready for release at once I put them in cat carriers, loaded them into my car and drove them to my place in the country. I lined up the dozens of carriers facing the woods and opened the doors and they all crept away, perfectly silent.

15 Likes

My dream animal encounter for this year is to meet an opossum! They look so sweet and awesome, and they’re such helpful, wonderful creatures! I’m jealous you got to work with them!

6 Likes

We encounter them each year, when our dogs drag one to our step. This year we really thought the poor guy was dead. But when I got the shovel he was gone.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.