Cat goes ape for this 2-D optical illusion

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/13/cat-goes-ape-for-this-2-d-opti.html

3 Likes

Hooman mesmerized by cat mesmerized by optical illusion…

29 Likes

Please tell me this has been posted before … because I just had one of the most intense déjà vu episodes in recent memory.

6 Likes

Oh this has been all over Reddit for the last week at least. Never gets old though :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

I’m not saying I don’t buy the premise here, but… I’m also pretty sure I’ve seen a cat do exactly the same thing to a completely blank sheet of white paper. They crazy.

21 Likes

Maybe you’re remembering the last time a similar video of a cat reacting to this optical illusion, back in March, 2013.

Bonus: Here’s the actual illusion for you to print out for your own kitties as well as a cursory explanation of why the illusion works, and a more detailed, scientific explanation.

12 Likes

Needs a catnip intensifier.

9 Likes

“This is more annoying than that damned ‘red dot’ that squiggles up and down the walls and across the floor, that I can never catch.”

8 Likes

Now I know what is missing in my life. Floor tiles with this optical illusion on them. WANT!

10 Likes

Thanks!

Gonna try this…

1 Like

Yay, thanks!

1 Like

Repost! This was posted years ago.

It’s mesmerizations all the way down…

Also, tomorrow at game night, totally doing this to Vince’s cat, Persephone (I call her P Kitty).

3 Likes

the cat is thinking, “MAKE IT STOP, MAKE IT STOP!”

2 Likes

Remind me not to drink too much at your house.

“Everything is spinning!

8 Likes

.[quote=“doctordave, post:5, topic:98885, full:true”]
I’m not saying I don’t buy the premise here, but… I’m also pretty sure I’ve seen a cat do exactly the same thing to a completely blank sheet of white paper. They crazy.
[/quote]
Came to post the same thing

1 Like

Cats going ape is one thing, but watch out when an ape goes cat.

6 Likes

There was a post quite some time ago which featured images like the moving-circles, only carefully-constructed in such a way that the illusion was lost and the circles would not spin no matter how much you looked at them. Alas, I cannot seem to find it at the moment. (Perhaps someone else recalls?)

I think I remember seeing it, but I think it was in the comments thread of another optical illusion topic.

1 Like

or drink more. with luck the two spin directions cancel each other out

3 Likes